Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 9 years ago

At 18, you can vote, you can die for your Country so what can't you have a drink after you come home from war?

Isn't 21 just silly?

BTW Iam 38

• Uhlan
    Favorite Answer

It's really pretty simple.

The insurance lobby is so incredibly powerful in American politics that the insurance companies were able to get the laws changed in all 50 states under the pretext that changing the drinking laws to ag 21 "saves lives."

Actually, the truth is that the law change didn't so much save lives as it did save the insurance companies a whole lot of money - which was the whole point anyway.

As you point out, if viewed logically, the 21 laws make no sense.

• Melanie, you beat me to it! Took the words right off my keyboard! LOL

Personally, I don't think people should be allowed to vote or go to war at 18 either. I mean, have you ever spoken to the average 18 year old? Most of them can't even hold an intelligent conversation. Is it really a good idea to give them a weapon and allow them to choose who is going to lead the nation???!!!

Like the law actually ever stopped an 18 year old from drinking.

Source(s): Drank in the military after coming home from war at 18....

@confucious say.... your not completely developed at 21. Your brain is fully mature at age 25, which is why car insurance goes down once you hit that age.

@Element Say FU Yahoo IV Member... apparently your talking to the wrong 18 year olds if you can't find an intelligent person to have a conversation with. or maybe they're just not into what you are.

21 is the age said to be a fully developed age both physically & emotionally. I appreciate the law, regardless of what you have done for this country. I condone special treatment for those who feel ENTITLED to it.

• C

Yes it is, but this is the place that actually went ahead and banned alcohol at one point. Never really lost the puritan attitude.

Because at 18 your still very immature mix alcohol with that and it will equal death. Really at "38" I would think you see that.

Stupidity accounts for a much higher percentage of deaths, but we cant ban stupid people... unfortunately.

word

• ?

Well...since you put it like that...yes, it is silly...