Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 10 years ago

How do I get around giving my kids vaccinations in the state of Maryland and still send them to...?

...public school?

As far as I can find out, you can only claim exemption from vaccinations for medical or religious reasons, neither of which we qualify for. I know that in some states, a philosophical exemption is allowed. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this, specifically in Maryland.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

By law if they are attending public schools they need to be vaccinated with certain exceptions:

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/maryland.htm

Outside these exceptions you would be violating state law / statute if your kids continue to go to public schools without them. Otherwise you could choose to homeschool them without vaccinating them. By not vaccinating them, this would also increasing the public health risk to themselves and fellow students who may spread sickness among them. This would be catastrophic to those who are exempt or defficient of vaccination for poor health reasons - IMHO this would be a rather selfish cause for the misfortune of others.

Vaccines only work effectively when the majority of the populus uses it. The example was of small pox. If small pox had not been vaccinated so heavily for it would have never been eradicated. If a family left their kids unvaccinated prior to a small pox exposure, not only would their kids likely have contracted small pox but would have spread it to others who were not vaccinated - and this is at the same time a poor example in which a experimental vaccine was created ad hoc from small pox survivors.

Note that vaccines in the most part cannot get you sick with the diease the vaccine is vaccinating against. An inactive form of the disease is introduced to your body so that the body can mount an immunoresponse to the antigen. This may cause weakness, fatigue, and often cold-like symptoms as your body is "fighting" preemptively a foreign substance, but this is far from the actual disease that you would be contracting.

Vaccines don't work as effectly post infection. Vaccines are mainly preventative not curative (as the immune system needs time to build up antibodies against the disease). To think "I'll vaccinate my kids after they contract Polio, Diptheria, Measles, Mumps, or Rubella" is flawed logic. At that point you've committed them to suffering which could have been prevented.

If cost is an issue visit your state's department of health, many vaccines are offered at discount or for free through programs and clinics in your local area. Check also with not-for-profit hospitals about vaccination.

My recommendation is rather than dodging the vaccination it would be your best interest as a parent to ensure their health and the health of others by getting them vaccinated.

• 10 years ago

A lot of good information on the topic can be found here:

http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

exemption forms and information for Maryland can be found here:

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/maryland.htm

there are even samples of exemption letters.

• 10 years ago

That is correct. There are only medical and religious exemptions. In Maryland, a child whose parent objects to immunization on the ground that it conflicts with the parents bona fide religious beliefs and practices may not be required to present a physicians certification of immunization in order to attend school...or if a licensed physician has determined that immunization is medically contraindicated according to accepted medical standards. There is no philosophical exemption in Maryland. Other than joining a religious group that opposes vaccinations, there's not much choice, other than perhaps home schooling. Also private or religious schools may have different policies or may be willing to waive the policy. Medical and religious exemptions only are the case for most states. Washington, North Dakota, Minesota, Wisconsin, Maine, Vermont, Ohio, Idaho, California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Louisisana are the only states that allow for philosophical exemptions.

• Lisa
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

You get around it by signing the bottom of the first page in this link. http://edcp.org/pdf/896_form.pdf It's that easy, and yes, you do qualify for the religious exemption. Only you know what is in your heart.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

why wouldn't you want to vaccinate your kids? I've been researching my family history, and there are so many early deaths that would have been avoided with vaccinations, damaging the family right to the present day. I also knew people who spent a lifetime paralysed from polio, happily that is really rare now thanks to vaccination.

the MMR vaccine damage theory has long been disproved. So hopefully no more deaf children or damaged foetuses.

we are so lucky to have modern medicine. Why refuse it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.