Is is time for Ferdinand Marcos Sr. to be buried at Libingan ng mga Bayani?

After Angelo Reyes's burial at Libingan ng mga Bayani, there are fresh calls for the government to allow former President Ferdinand Marcos Sr. to be buried there too.

Marcos's remains are still inside a refrigerated crypt at his family’s ancestral home as his family vows not to bury him unless it's in the Heroes' Cemetery.

President Noynoy Aquino already inhibited himself from deciding on the matter.

1,032 Answers

Favorite Answer

Now is the right time, sa tabi nung Heneral na kalilibing lang!!

For those people who were born after EDSA1, they shouldn't comment here. History books, news clippings are completely biased. They only read about the bad things that Marcos did. They don't give a damn about the good things.

But it's a shame that Angelo Reyes was buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani. It's also a shame that another corrupt former Philippine president was interred at the LNMB. His name is Diosdado Macapagal.

I may say Marcos did a lot of good things in the Philippines. The Philippines was far more disciplined because they fear becoming desaparecidos, but hey, discipline is good. Too bad that there are the communists and activists who just can't satisfaction. The early example of Pasaway Pinoys.

But it would be better that Marcos be just buried in his hometown. They should just erect a big monument/mausoleum in his hometown where he is not despised. That way, it will also bring tourism up north, and his resting place will be safer from vandals.

The Libingan ng mga Bayani should change its name. It should not be named Libingan ng mga Bayani since some of those interred there are not even heroes, such as the wives of heroes. It would be better if they just name it Taguig Cemetery.

But then again, Cory Aquino is one great hypocrite, praying with those Catholic nuns. Cory and the nuns pray to God as if they are so pious. And yet, Cory could and would never forgive Marcos. So much for being a prayerful Christian.

Oh Hell! Nobody's perfect. Not Marcos. Not Cory or Ninoy. Not even the brave Bonifacio and the traitor Aguinaldo. Philippine politics has always been DIRTY.

Source(s): National Historical Institute

YES! Even though without the death of Angelo Reyes, former president Marcos Sr. should be buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani long time ago. Characteristics of a person to be called a hero are undoubtedly present, qualification is out of question anymore. It's not really the Filipino people who doesn't want Marcos to be buried at the libingan ng mga bayani, there are those leaches individual who kept on transferring from one administration to another just to protect their own interest. And to secure this interest they kept on providing issues that most Filipino simply go with the flow. The idea is to over used the democracy we have just like what happened in EDSA 1 2 & 3 to use people to gain power. Even President Aquino inhibited himself because we have rules to follow and in every rules there is an exemption. We as Filipino people gain and loosed some during his reign Let the former "President" rest in peace in his rightful place.

Pres Marcos was no different from any other filipino right now, i don't see any good reason why he's still being prevented till now be buried on Heroes Grave, he has all the qualification, if he's only alive today and would like to apply for a burial permit or rights to be buried in this place , i'm sure, all his credentials would pass as a soldier a state man and mostly being the ex President of this republic.During his time of rule, he exercise the real power of a leader and few leaders who followed him are not in his caliber. The answer if its really time for him to be buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani lies on the descision of the Marcos family and the acceptance of the filipino people that all was just a part of history that shaped this colorful nation and nothing more.

• I have never been a Marcos fanatic nor an Aquino follower, but what I know is that the man served as a President for more than twenty years....and made things happen for the country during his time, even if we admit it or not. If a general was allowed to be buried in Libingan ng mga Bayani, how much more a previous president? He has been denied of his privilege, and has suffered, with his family, all the humiliation (not to mention with the country as well). It's time he be given the recognition I believe he and his family deserved.

YES, definitely, this is my opinion, I was still in high school when the EDSA Revolution happened, but at that I age I knew he made a lot of contributions too. Given the benefit He was a good leader, we must remember all of us have flaws, we did something wrong, Can you tell me now of any past Presidents who was never into a controversial issue? President Marcos I remember when we had Philippine History started from being a soldier, and slowly made his way up (correct me if I'm wrong),,still despite what happened during his leadership, we have to remember He was a good leader too, now If Mr. Angelo Reyes was buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani, and he made the worst mistake, that is taking his own life there were no questions about it, why make an issue about Marcos. It's high time that we have to forget what happened in the past. Let the remains of President Marcos be buried where it should be:) PEACE:)

NO! He should not be buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani! I am what one would consider a "Marcos" baby, meaning i grew up knowing him as the only president given that I was born in 1964 and I believe he became president in 1965 (or was it 1963). Regardless of the when he became president, the point is, nagkamalay ako na siya lang ang presidente and I am proud to say that I was old enough (my family and I were one of the millions who braved the tanks in EDSA on those 4 glorious days in February 1986) when the People Power phenomenon which ousted him happened.

I agree that his "sins" against the country is no match to the ones allegedly committed by Angelo Reyes and he (Marcos) does NOT deserve to be buried in the Lbingan ng mga Bayani.

Just let his wax replica (I honestly believe that the one in the crypt is no longer his mortal remains) stay where it has been for the last 25 or so years.

• Nilda6 years agoReport

Okay...and there is no match of the good things he did for our country..right? Don't be hard on yourself man. You need biblical help. Please read Matthew 18:35

I am one of the young generation right now. Though I haven't born during Marcos regime and "Marcial Law" existed, I was taught how the government & Philippines become more popular & progressive amongst the Asian countries (History) during that time. Regardless how many people have been hurt physically, emotionally & morally; I still believe he had done and made our country a better one. Try to look at this, in history, every administration has its own dark side starting from the 1st Pres. Aguinaldo up to the 15 President (current admin). Yet, each generation of administration contributed a possitive result of Philippine government and a controversy that every Filipino is dying to fight for. So why he should't be buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani well in fact all his co-leagues were there?

I am not a pro-Marcos, not even an anti; neither a pro/anti-Aquino-Cojuangco. I am just a Filipino Christian who is balancing the - & + of serving people no matter how it is. We are a Christian country and a true Christian knows how to forgive & move on no matter how cruel life is. A person who is crucified for how many decades and still being judged by many of us is not worthy for such long suffering (let go of the late pres' soul). Let's move on & start a new beginning hoping for a brighter government! Let the old man's body be buried in that graveyard!

Source(s): self point-of-view
    • Nilda6 years agoReport

You are damn right Maria! Good for you that you were able to see the difference.

Yes, former President Ferdinand Marcos also deserves to be buried at the libingan ng mga bayani because he also once served as a good president for our country before his governance was tainted by the acts of wicked minded people around him. Though he had mistakes, we cannot also deny the fact that he also did a lot of good things for our country, which merits him to be recognized as a hero. Let the remains of the past be rested on the right place already so that we can also move on towards building a better future for our country and fellowmen. It does not mean that if Marcos will be buried at the libingan ng mga bayani that all the victims of abuses will be forgotten already. They could still clamor for justice, but it has nothing to do already on this issue.

It's about time we move forward. There is no such thing as a "perfect" leader. If Marcos had mistakes, he had some accomplishemnts also more than those who were buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani. History is judging Marcos and at this time it's not all negative.I think his being booted out of power was already enough punishment. We had many opportunities to "avenge" like running after his millions but what happened? How many more of us become another Marcos... getting rich? That's should be our main concern.

Cut the Marcos family some slack. I think it's about time for the Former President Ferdinand Marcos Sr. to be buried at Libingan ng mga Bayani.