Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

60 seconds and 1 minute aren't really the same?

This is a bit of a random question, but the answer ha sbeen bugging me for a long time. Ok so...

On a microwave, if you push 60, then it will cook for 60 seconds or 1minute (following me?)

AND also if you press 1:00 it will cook for 1 minute (right? right!)

okay well my question is...

if you add 1:00 and 1:00 is = 2:00 right? so you can cook food for total of two minutes.

BUT if you add 60seconds + 60 seconds it will only cook for one minute and twenty seconds. Even though 60 seconds is 1 minute?

(I know, confusing question, right?)

I guess put into simpliest terms, How come 1 miniute plus one minute = 2 minutes but 60 seconds + 60 seconds = 120 seconds?

• Marie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awZM9

What? A minute is generally 60 seconds. Some minutes are 61 seconds owing to the introduction of leap seconds, but that is unimportant here. Most microwave ovens have generally simple inputs, when you type 1-2-0, you fill it's digit buffer with 1-2-0, which is interpreted according to the format m:ss and not, as you think, sss. The reason for this is that, generally, people have been found to put items on for periods of time which span several minutes and it is easier to simply input a number of minutes plus an amount of seconds than it is to do the arithmetic to work out how many seconds the desired amount converts to. If all cooking instructions quoted seconds, then microwaves would have an input panel which read in a number of seconds instead. But, the defacto method for measuring time is done using a hierarchy of units (which we call seconds, minutes, hours etc). It's as simple as that.

One minute is 60 seconds

Another minute is still 60 seconds

So that means there are 2 minutes.

It does not mean 1 minute and 20 seconds, it means 120 seconds. 120 seconds is 2 minutes.

So yes, 60 seconds and a minute are the same

• Susie

The 120 seconds isn't 100 equaling 1 minute plus another 20 seconds. 120 seconds is 2 minutes of 60 seconds each. Maybe your microwave doesn't know that. I've never seen a microwave that you can push 60 seconds and then add 60 seconds more, but I've actually never tried that.

60 seconds + 60 seconds isn’t 1 minute and 20 seconds. It is 120 seconds, but since a minute is equal to 60 seconds, it would be 2 minutes. See, you were calculating it as if 1 minute = 100 seconds, and if it was so, then that would be true, but 1 minute = 60 seconds so 2 minutes = 120 seconds = 60 seconds + 60 seconds.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

okay well my question is...

if you...

Source(s): 60 seconds 1 minute aren 39 same: https://shortly.im/iwR4j

What's happening:

You type in 120, the microwave will read out 1:20, or one minute, twenty seconds.

As soon as a number goes to the left of the colon, that number is counted as a minute.

Examples:

0:90 - 90 seconds (1:30)

1:40 - 1 minute, 40 seconds

56:29 - 56 minutes, 29 seconds

120 seconds is two minutes.

Source(s): Common sense.

60 seconds = 1 minute

65 seconds = 1 minute and 5 seconds

70 seconds = 1 minute and 10 seconds

80 seconds = 1 minute and 20 seconds

90 seconds = 1 minute and 30 seconds

100 seconds = 1 minute and 40 seconds

110 seconds = 1 minute and 50 seconds

120 seconds = 2 minutes (which could also be called "1 minute plus 60 seconds", or "1 minute and 60 seconds". Equally the number 3 could also be called "1 and 2", or "1 plus 2").

Um

Let's do the math. 1:20 is NOT the same as 2 mins.

1 min 20 sec = 60 sec + 20 sec = 80 sec NOT 2 minutes

2 min = 60 sec + 60 sec = 120 sec.. however, you cannot put 120 seconds on the microwave, because the 1 stands for 60 secs not 100.

In time, 60 + 60 equals 2 minutes, because 60 seconds equals 1 minute. In normal math, 60 + 60 = 120, you've mixed up time with normal math :)

60 seconds + 60 seconds= 120 seconds

120 seconds= 2 minutes

Source(s): simple math skills