How does Inception keep losing "Best Picture" at these award shows?

According to the IMdB "Road to the Oscars" poll, it is the favorite to win by a landslide.

BEST PICTURE:

Inception 41.6%

The King's Speech 17.8%

The Social Network 15.8%

Black Swan 13.4%

Toy Story 3 3.1%

True Grit 2.6%

127 Hours 2.3%

The Fighter 2.0%

Winter's Bone 0.9%

The Kids Are All Right 0.5%

If it is voted the 8th best movie of all time by AVERAGE MOVIEGOERS and voted favorite to win by such a large percentage in the Oscars poll, than why does it keep getting beat by The Social Network? And how come Nolan wasn't nominated for Best Director?!

The Social Network was the most pretentious movie I've ever seen in my life.

Favorite Answer

Award shows like the Oscars rarely ever nominate/give awards to movies that are a box office success or just extremely popular within the general public. There a are few exceptions to the rule like always such as the case of "Titanic" and "Forrest Gump" but like I said its very rare. I guess they think they are so "original" by doing that but the fact in the matter is a lot people have already figured out the pattern in which they give awards, it usually deals with some kind of issues of society or is backed up by a decent amount of movie critics.

I don't think people will even care about a movie about Facebook in 10 years even if you think its much more than that.

• manca

Inception Picture

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

BEST PICTURE:

Inception 41.6%

The King's Speech 17.8%

The Social Network 15.8%

Black Swan 13.4%

Toy Story 3 3.1%

True Grit 2.6%

127 Hours 2.3%

The Fighter ...

Source(s): inception losing quot picture quot award shows: https://tinyurl.im/RmBW5

Yeah I agree, I don't know how it keeps losing for BP. The Social Network had good picture and all, but the effects in Inception and how they managed to also have great picture is awesome. The Social Network was just a camera, but with Inception there's so much more going on.

It's bad Nolan wasn't at least nominated for BD, though I think Aronofsky and whoever directed The King's Speech are a little more deserving.

well, usually the award shows always overlook summer blockbusters, they did it to him with the dark knight as well, there something with the drama movies that come out in the fall when the voters vote for the awards, and its bs really. I thought The fighter, kings speech and inception were all amazing and honestly would not be mad if either of the 3 won. The fact that Nolan was not nominated for best director really angers me, its pretty obvious that the film masterfully put together.

• Kate

popular does not always mean quality. for example, Jimi Hendrix revolutionized rock music and invented new techniques for the electric guitar, and although his music has been popular for decades after his death, he only had 1 hit single. By contrast, there are numerous "artists" out there who have repeated hit songs, but are lacking in actual talent.

• Donny

There's a big difference between what people that vote for things on IMDb think, and what the people that vote for the Oscars think.

before I say anything, I'll say that Inception was an incredible...ONE OF the best movies of 2010, and one of all time favorites...but...

it's not a movie that would win best picture at the Oscars. If Inception wins, why didn't The Matrix win? why didn't The Prestige win? Inception is basically a sci-fi movie, and the Academy rarely ever even nominates a movie of that genre for best picture.

and that poll is horrible, Toy Story 3 is above 5 movies that are far better than it...

it was voted the 8th best movie of all time? well its not... The Shawshank Redemption was voted number one, but is it really the best movie of all time? no, it's not.

Inception won't win best picture, but it will most likely win some sound awards, and probably visual effects too.

I guess some people just don't like the movie, sadly :(

Because everyone is kissing the *** of the director of The Social Network. I didn't like it; I thought it was annoying and stupid.