Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Ghost of black history past?

Ghost of black history past?

my world history class is putting on a play about black history that sort of goes along the lines of a christmas carol. i am the "ghost of black history past" and i need ideas on maybe some funny things to say about different events in black history, to sort of interact and narrate

good ideas get 10 points!

Update:

oh no! no nonononono i didn't mean i was wanting to make fun of it!!!!!

we are doing a play, so i don't want to just be boring narrator, like i want to put humor into it! i'm not saying that what happened is funny, i just don't want the play to be boring!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Some people think because of the history and treatment of blacks humour is a no no, but there are some fun and interesting facts.

1) George Washington sent a '*****' slave to Barbados to be exchanged for a hogshead of molasses, a cask of rum and 'other good old spirits,' in 1776.

2) In the United States Army Intelligence tests during World War I, the 'Blacks' of Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois and Ohio were more intelligent than the whites of Mississippi, Kentucky, Arkansas and Georgia by from one to seven percent.

3) Estevanico, a 'Black' from Morocco, was one of a party of four to cross the North American continent in 1536 for the first time. The journey took nine years. In 1539 he headed an expedition that discovered Arizona and new Mexico. Estevanico's travels served to open up the Southwest and the States west of Florida, as far as the Pacific.

4) Imhotep of Ancient Egypt, was the real Father of Medicine. He lived about 2300 b.c. Greece and Rome had their knowledge of medicine from him. In Rome he was worshipped as the Prince of Peace in the form of a black man. His Ethiopian portraits show him as 'Black.' Imhotep was also Prime Minister to King Zoser as well as the foremost architect of his time. The saying, "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die," has been traced to him. Hippocrates, the so-called "Father of Medicine," lived 2,000 years after Imhotep.

5) Dr. Daniel Williams, a black Chicago surgeon who died in 1931, was the first to perform a successful operation on the human heart. Medical Record, March 27, 1897. The patient was James Cornish.

6) On November 15, 218 B.C., Hannibal, a full-blooded 'Black,' marching through conquered territory in Spain and France, performed the astounding feat of crossing the Alps. With only 26,000 of his original force of 82,000 men remaining, he defeated Rome, the mightiest military power of that age, who had a million men, in every battle for the next fifteen years. Hannibal is the father of military strategy. His tactics are still taught in the leading military academies of the United States, Enland, France, Germany and other lands.

7) Elijah McCoy (1843 - 1929) invented an automatic lubricator for oiling steam engines in 1872. The term "the real McCoy" is believed to be a reference about the reliability of Elijah McCoy's invention.

8) Thomas L. Jennings was the first African-American to receive a patent in 1821. It was for a dry-cleaning process in 1821. He used the money earned from the patent to purchase relatives out of slavery and support abolitionist causes.

9) Radio personalities Hal Jackson and Percy Sutton co-founded the Inner City Broadcasting Corporation (ICBC). They also acquired WLIB, which became the first African-American owned and operated station in New York.

10) Harriet Tubman escaped slavery and led hundreds of other slaves to freedom through the Underground Railroad. She also became a spy for the Union Army

11) Lewis H. Latimer was the only African American member of Thomas A. Edison's team of scientists. He helped pave the way in the development of the electric light bulb.

12) Guion S. Bluford, Jr. was the first African American in space.

13) Frederick D. Gregory was the first African American space shuttle commander.

14) Shirley Chisholm was the first African American woman elected to the U.S. Congress.

15) Sojourner Truth was a true force in the abolitionist movement, as well as, a preacher. She added the women's rights movement to her cause in 1859.

16) Barak Obama- has carved out a niche for himself in black history by becoming the first black president of the Harvard Law Review, which is one of the most cited, and considered by many to be the most prestigious in the US.

17) Jack Johnson- the 1st black heavyweight boxing champ. he was born in 1878, and was the child of former slaves. He became champ in 1908 and proceeded to beat the hell out of white boys for years. One of his victories of James Jefferies sparked race riots. He eventually married a white woman, and was subsequently convicted of a federal law that made it illegal to transport women across state lines for immoral purposes.

18) According to the US census bureau- in 2005 1.1 million blacks had advanced college degrees , in 1995 the number was 670,000.

Source(s): 19) The Great Migration- from 1916-1970 6 million blacks migrated from the south to the north. escaping southern racism and heading north for industrial jobs.... (looking at you cleveland, new york, chicago & detroit). Black newspapers helped this exodus, with advertisements and encouraging their readers to spread by word of mouth the opportunities for blacks in the north. 20) Loving v. Virginia- a court case in 1967 that ruled that banning interracial marriage was illegal. There were 16 states in the US that prohibited interracial marriage. This court case made those states repeal those laws. If you want anymore help email me. Hope these facts are useful.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • derosa
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

maximum probable the realtor isn't answerable for supernatural occurence in a house. the priority of ghosts is subjective. i could visit the the city and request the call information of previous proprietors. Get in touch with the realtor and ask her help in this count. If its fairly a ghost call a mystical investigator.

• John B
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Some funny things? gee, that may be a difficult one ... there are difficult things, horrible things, miserable things, but now you want funny things? A hint here, stay away from funny in dealing with this subject. It won't work. Maybe sarcasm or satire, but not funny.

• 5 years ago

thanks I thought your info was very interesting.they don't mention any of the facts in schools. they only want to teach the blacks were nothing but slaves. we know better.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Chris
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Oh no you didn't - Oh yes you did.

He's behind you.

This is a no hoper

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.