Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

my fish tank is a one gallon filtered tank...with three goldfish in it.should i buy a bigger tank?

i started out with four goldfish and i have had them over three months now but just recently one of them died,yet she showed no signs of illness? and one of my fish has grown a black stripe down her back? is there something i am doing wrong.should i get a new tank?

Favorite Answer

Yes!!! Goldfish need at LEAST 10 gallons per goldfish. And it depends on what type of goldfish you have also. A one gallon tank isn't even suitable for a Betta, you need to get at a minimum a 30 gallon tank with a really good filter, now that's a minimum, If you can get a 50-60 gallon tank. If you can't I suggest you find them all new homes. The reason goldfish need such big tanks is because they tend to be dirty fish, and produce a lot of waste, so a small tank just gets to dirty too fast. Also, even though now they are small, they will eventually become very large, some species of goldfish can grow over a foot in length.

Source(s): Research, always skimming through yahoo answers fish section!

Yes you should. If you have fancy goldfish, you will need 20 gallons for the first goldfish, and 10 gallons for each additional. (that means you need a 40 gallon tank if you have fancies)

If you have commons/comets, each fish will need 20 gallons each, resulting in you needing a 60 gallon tank.

Also, goldfish are really messy and will need really strong filters. (But not so strong that they get pushed around the tank)

If you decide to get a bigger tank, make sure to cycle it first. Google "How to cycle my tank" or "Nitrogen Cycle." Things like that.

As for the black stripe, fish can change colors and get new markings over time. If you aren't conditioning the water, then it might be an ammonia burn, but I doubt that any of you fish would still be alive if you haven't conditioned your water by now.

I hope I helped and GL with your fishies!

Bizz(:

Yes you should.

Goldfish can survive incredibly poor conditions for a short time, but a "toy" tank like that will eventually kill them all.

Ian

Um, yes. About 149 gallons bigger.

Good luck with that.

yeah the bigger the tank the bigger the fish get

Source(s): own fish :)

Best answer to this would be if they are making the water too cloudy and smelly, it is time to upgrade.