I only got 4 hours of sleep in the past 2 days?

ok I only work right now and usually my work starts at 5PM to 12AM. so I can stay up as late as I want (usually till 4AM) because I dont feel like coming home from work then heading straight to bed. but this week I had 3 morning shifts in a row that start at 11AM, so I tell myself to go to bed before 2AM so... show more ok I only work right now and usually my work starts at 5PM to 12AM.

so I can stay up as late as I want (usually till 4AM) because I dont feel like coming home from work then heading straight to bed.

but this week I had 3 morning shifts in a row that start at 11AM, so I tell myself to go to bed before 2AM so I can wake up at 10AM and head out.

but when I try to sleep I cant, its like I go into this stand-by mode where im trying to sleep but it just doesnt happen, then I notice ive been doing that for 2 hours, then it goes on for a couple more hours, then I have a dream, but then there I am awake again,

ok what the hell, if I just had a dream that means I fell asleep, if I fell asleep then why the hell wouldnt I just be knocked out from no sleep.

I thought you had to be in a deep sleep to even dream? but I had 2 dreams last night, one I had about 4 hours later, then I had the second one about 2 hours later, I only got 2 hours of sleep last night I assume because I had a dream, but does that even count as sleeping or does it count as hallucinating
Update: when I have dont have to wake up in 8 hours I can sleep fine, when I dont then my mind just keeps racing