Car battery emitting rotten egg smell - what danger to us?

My husband, whom I could call many bad names right now, was using a car battery connected to a trickle charger to power car stereo equipment in our downstairs media room. I did not realize this....Anyway, we came home to a horrible rotten egg smell one afternoon. We have a septic system and immediately assumed it... show more My husband, whom I could call many bad names right now, was using a car battery connected to a trickle charger to power car stereo equipment in our downstairs media room. I did not realize this....Anyway, we came home to a horrible rotten egg smell one afternoon. We have a septic system and immediately assumed it was the problem, but had no back up or blockage of the vent. After about 18 hours of dealing with this horrible smell, he finally discovered this car battery was making a leaking air sound and the smell was coming from it. He quickly disconnected it and removed it from the home. I'm now mad as a hatter, as we and our young son were obviously breathing this in. The smell got worse all over the house every time the furnace kicked on...obviously blowing the smell througout the home. Does anyone know how dangerous this was to us? My son and I were never hanging out downstairs by it, rather we were upstairs, but as I said the smell was being blown througout the house by the furnace.
4 answers