Why would anyone who is not independently wealthy vote Conservative in the U.K?

I understand the nature of greed and the desire by some to hold onto their wealth, but why on earth would someone of average (or less) means vote for them? I think it is crazy and really don't understand, apart perhaps for those who vote as their parents did without any subjectivity.

Favorite Answer

Well, I agree. But there's still an extraordinary notion of hierarchy in the UK, and stuff about the deserving and undeserving poor always seems to go down well with parts of society - you know, let's get the benefit cheats (who cheat the country out of about 0.1% of what the high-earning tax avoiders manage). The Conservatives do a great job of making many people feel good by despising others and by pushing the sort of values that emphasise individuality and lack of society (which seems to be what most of the USA likes, too).

But then I don't understand how anyone in the USA can support the Tea Party movement. I don't understand how they can see that middle-of-the-road conservative president that is currently in power as some sort of radical socialist left-winger!!!

• Pretty much all of Scotland agrees with you.

The last election that saw more than one Conservative MP from Scotland was in 1992.

Source(s): Folks in England complain about being under a government they didn't elect because of the coalition. That is all the more true for Scotland. The dominant party in that mess took just one seat up here. The junior partner, only 10.

What I don't understand is why any taxpayer would vote for any other party BUT the Conservatives. Labour has done precisely nothing for the UK except run up deficits and sell 60% of the gold reserves for a loss, with China snapping it up and making a huge profit. Oh, and letting hundreds of thousands of terrorists into the country to receive free benefits.