Kurt Cobain - Hypocrite Feminist?

I've been a huge Nirvana fan since my teens. I had always deeply admired Kurt Cobain in many ways for his views on the music industry, as well as other matters (including feminism) and the way he resonated with life's misunderstood, social exiles in general. Though recently I've come across some things... show more I've been a huge Nirvana fan since my teens. I had always deeply admired Kurt Cobain in many ways for his views on the music industry, as well as other matters (including feminism) and the way he resonated with life's misunderstood, social exiles in general. Though recently I've come across some things about Kurt that shocked me. He had claimed to be a feminist, but according to the book 'Kurt Cobain' by Christopher Sandford, there is an account of a rather cruel (bordering violent) incident with a woman. Here's a link in Google Books, from page 91:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FMQFzaT6j5AC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=%E2%80%9Cas+far+as+I%E2%80%99m+concerned,+all+the+stories+about+Kurt-the-feminist+are+a+sick+joke.+He+hated+women.%22&source=bl&ots=C0WhB8go8D&sig=7V_DdyGoamKYcvOgKdgjWNWi-ZE&hl=en&ei=HlxaTePHOdOgtgfq2OXCCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%E2%80%9Cas%20far%20as%20I%E2%80%99m%20concerned%2C%20all%20the%20stories%20about%20Kurt-the-feminist%20are%20a%20sick%20joke.%20He%20hated%20women.%22&f=false

In the Book "Who Killed Kurt Cobain" (page 22), it explains his obsession for weird porn including women and farm animals. On page 38, it quotes his friend Dylan Carlson as saying, "Kurt could talk the talk but in private he still referred to women as bitches and continued to collect some pretty sick porn."

I don’t want to be too judgmental (obviously the only ones who knew him at all were those closest to him), but is there a more sinister side to this man than many people have realized? I’ve found other bits around the ‘net too (especially in the “Kurt Cobain” book). Is that author even credible? Just wondering about this topic, because although I’ve always known Kurt Cobain was a tortured individual, I didn’t imagine it would be THAT dark.
Update: For the record - I'm aware, as well as anyone, that he was still an ordinary guy with issues like most everybody else. I'm not under any false beliefs about his character, and I certainly never have put him to a god-like status. I'm passionate about music, being a musician myself, and he was just a musician I... show more For the record - I'm aware, as well as anyone, that he was still an ordinary guy with issues like most everybody else. I'm not under any false beliefs about his character, and I certainly never have put him to a god-like status. I'm passionate about music, being a musician myself, and he was just a musician I admired - most people do that in one way or another with their interests. I like to learn about the minds behind the music. Before you pass judgment, please don't mistake me for some indiscriminate tool. There were a large chunk of years where I just stopped listening to Nirvana, and only recently reignited my passion for their work. Their music embedded itself in my psyche when I was just a kid, so my knowledge was limited to those first experiences - I thought rather than being creepy and spending possibly unhealthy amounts of time researching these details of his life, I would ask people who might already know.