Throwaway1001 asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

My dog just ate a triple chocolate brownie, should I be worried?

It was about 2.5 inches wide and 3/4 inch height. It had milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate and semisweet chocolate in it. It had no bakers chocolate in it (I believe it didn't as the ingredients didn't say so). The vet said to give him food to help break it up but I am still very worried about him. He is roughly 22 pounds miniature Australian shepherd.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    This happened with our boxers. They pulled a whole pan of warm brownies down off of the counter and cleaned the dish before I even got back to the kitchen (I was taking a shower). I freaked out and took them right into the vet.

    Turns out that as long as it is not solid, dark chocolate (which according to the vet, is rarely available anyway) and at least 10 oz per pound of dog, you have nothing to worry about. You wouldn't want this to be a recurrent situation because the problem comes from the dog's inability to process it out...meaning that it can build up in your dog's system and become toxic. However, this one time will not hurt your pooch.

    We gave our dogs white rice and yogurt just to help soothe their tummies (a whole pan of brownies will make anyone feel yucky), but other than that, they were absolutely fine. That was over a year ago.

    I hope this helps,

    Karen

    Source(s): Banfield, the pet hospital and personal experience
  • ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

    Well, you should call your vet and talk to the vet on call. Go by what your vet recommends. Your dog might not have a problem, but there's a strong possibility that he could become critically ill. Chocolate is one of the worst things for a dog to eat and he ate a LOT all at once. AND... in the future, you now know your dog has NO MANNERS and NO SELF-CONTROL so you cannot risk leaving things on a table top and walk out of the room ever again.

  • 10 years ago

    well if he starts to throw up and wont stop u need to get him to the doctor immediately

    if it wasnt real chocolate you shouldnt be worried too much,

    just make sure to watch him/her for the next couple of days to make sure they're ok

    my Bichon Frise who is a larger dog for his breed, bout 20 lbs, got a hold of an entire chocolate bunny my sister left it under her bed and he would not stop puking, he ate the foil too which the doctor said was blocking his bowls so that had something to do with it.

    do what the vet said, and if you start noticing he doesnt want to eat or drink then take him to the doctors to get him checked out.

    some dogs can have chocolate and some cant its weird but its like with humans, some are allergic to peanut butter, some arent.

    g;luck i hope he feels better soon

  • 10 years ago

    IF your really worried induce vomiting or get the dogs stomach pumped... my dog a Labrador ate chocolate and hes fine

    Source(s): My guess
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Your dog will be fine. He will probably just get a little sick. that's all, just don't let him have anymore

    chocolate!!!

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    He'll be fine. Just give him a little extra food and exercise.

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    that is ok. My dog eat all kinds of food

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.