what are some of the classical music that was composed during WWI?

I am doing this project for history and I want my poster in this silent museum to be intriguing and interesting. My history teacher said that we could add music or video or both to enhance our presentation. I've been "google"ing to see if there was any, but it only came up with other stuff. Thanks a lot! :)

Favorite Answer

A few more pieces (I presume you didn't just been songs - sung by singers) for you written 1914-18:

Bartók - Romanian Folk Dances (1917); Ballet: 'The Wooden Prince' (1914-17)

Bax - 'The Garden of Fand' (1916); November Woods (1917)

Berg - Three Pieces for Orchestra (finished in 1915)

Delius - North Country Sketches (1914); Dance Rhapsody (1916); String Quartet (1916); Double Concerto for Violin and Cello (1915-16); Requiem (1914-16); Eventyr (1917); A Song Before Sunrise (1918)

Elgar - String Quartet (1918)

Enescu - Symphony No 3 (1918)

Falla - El amor brujo (Love, the Magician [The Love Sorcerer])(1915)

Grainger - The Warriors (1916)

Griffes - The Pleasure-Dome of Kubla Khan (1917)

Holst - The Planets (1916)

Janáček - The Excursions of Mr Brouček (1917)

Myaskovsky - Symphonies 3-5 (1914-18)

Nielsen - Symphony No 4 (Inextinguishable)(1916)

Prokofiev - Scythian Suite (1914-16)

Puccini - Il trittico (1918)

Rakhmaninov - Vespers (1915); Etudes-tableaux (1916)

Sibelius - Symphony No 5 (1915); The Oceanides (1914)

Stenhammar - Symphony No 2 (1915)

Strauss - Alpine Symphony (1915); Le bourgeois gentilhomme (1918)

Stravinsky - Rénard (1916); The Song of the Nightingale (1917); Ragtime (1917-18); The Soldier's Tale (1918)

Szymanowski - Symphony No 3 (Song of the Night)(1916); Violin Concerto No 1 (1916)

Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending (1914)

I'll add the handful of stuff that's been missed, but Malcolm and Del have covered the bulk of work.

Milhaud - Symphony de Chambre Nos. 1 & 2 (1917 and 18 respectively), String Quartets Nos. 2, 3, & 4 (1914 - 1915, 1916, 1918)

Ravel - Piano Trio in A Minor (1914)

Respighi - The Fountains of Rome (1915 - 1916)

Debussy - Sonata for Flute, Violin and Harp (1915)

As far as what you should put with your presentation, the Prokofiev Symphony #1 is, in my opinion at least the quintessential work of the era. It features much smaller forces, a paring down of the excesses of the overblown Romantic orchestra, and a return to much simpler themes and construction. Then again, the Ravel Piano Trio seems to echo a haunting sadness, and the first movement of The Planets very -obviously- is a direct echo of the war.

La bohème has been a huge commercial success from the night Arturo Toscanini first conducted it at Teatro Regio in Turin in 1896. By 1900 it had played in almost every country that has an opera house. For example the Metropolitan Opera has made it part of its season 80 times out of its 125 seasons, which is amazing. Edit - Sorry I got the question wrong - so I'll try again: Benjamin Britten's War Requrium written for the re-dedication of f Coventry Cathedral in 1962, it was a huge success at first and has been programmed regularly since. There must be about 10 recordings made since its premier, which isn't bad. I disagree with the choice of the Messiah since it was not written to celebrate an event although it's premiere in Dublin was a benefit for people in debtor's prisons, not the same thing. While the Dublin premier was a big hit the work was a bust when first performed in London, and did not become popular for 10 years.

Le tombeau de Couperin - Ravel.

Quartet No.2 for Strings - Bartok

Les Noces - Stravinsky

Symphony No.1 in D major - Prokofiev

Piano Sonatas No.3 & 4 - Prokofiev

Die Frau ohne Schatten - Strauss

Sonata for Cello and Piano - Delius

Violin Concerto - Delius

La Rondine - Puccini

Taras Bulba - Janacek

Sonata for Violin and Piano No.2 - Faure

I'm going to add something very rare to the excellent lists you have already been given, and that is the Elegy for Strings by the Australian composer F.S. Kelly, written in 1915 in memory of his friend, the poet Rupert Brooke. Kelly (also and Olympic athlete) was to loose his life a year later on the Somme. Ivor Gurney continued to write songs whilst in the trenches, including his magnificent setting of Masefield's 'By a Bierside'. Cecil Coles was another soldier/composer who died in action, the score for his suite 'Behind the Lines' being discovered on his body after his death.

• giesen

Music From Ww1 Era

I would like to add to the above lists, the Erich Wolfgang Korngold Violin Concerto in D Major,Op.35, which was composed in 1945. Here is Hillary Hahn playing the 1st Movement of this jewel....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsYUuGo8XA

Youtube thumbnail

enjoy...)

Source(s): me

look at 30's cause the 40's was a really bad decade 4 music because of the war