? asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 9 years ago

If K is a compact, connected subset of R^2 and f: K-->R is a continuous function, what can you say about f(K)?

I only can deduce that f(K) is also connect and it is an interval. I feel like there is something more....perhaps uniform continuity?

Favorite Answer

Uniform continuity is something you may mention when you are asked about the function f(x).

Here, you are asked about f(K), which is a set.

You can deduce that f(K) is connected, true. The fact that it is an interval does not add any more information, since a connected set is also an interval...

The other thing you can deduce is that f(K) is compact, because a continuous function maps a compact set to a compact set.

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. I wasn't taking under consideration what the crucial become wondering, yet i realized after a lengthy time period that .... yeah. XD large funny tale; i prefer to inform this to someone! xD