Qqzz asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 years ago

Is Fedor Emelianenko still the best fighter in mma?

With an impressive record of 31-3, fedor still is the best, in my opinion. so many ppl talk smack about him. i dont know why they hate. he never talked S*** about any body, he had respect for every fighter he went up agianst. . After the silva fight, he said he was gonna retire. i believe he was serious. he did his thing and now his time to end his career has come. Thanks Fedor for the fights. im still a devoted fan. ;)

Update:

the answers so far are ok. but do you guys think he is the best for the size and weight? he was 230 lbs? and 5'11''? compared to the other giants there are in UFC/strikforce, he was a beast.i dont hate on other fighters but i just loved the way he carried himself. he never showed off. he was a clean fighter and played the sport. Great entertainer!!! i love fedor. (no homo) ps. for the Boxing league; Klitschko is having a fight on March 19th. you guys think he will win? Vitali wasnt active for a while, do you think he still has gas in his tank?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Fedor is great, but 0-2 in his last two shows one thing. He's not the best when the rules are strict...

In Pride you could stomp the head, knee the face & do just about anything except bite & hit genitals.

That's where he ruled. In America, the rules are strict and it limits him as a fighter.

It's the same thing for Rampage v Wanderlei Silva. Silva beat Rampage twice (with knees to the face) in Pride because the rules are lax. When they fought in the UFC, Silva couldn't grap the back of the head and knee the face. When you know someone's weakness & knock him out twice by doing it, then have that rule taken away, it flat out sucks.. Fedor knocked out so many people by stomping their heads, & kneeing the face while on the ground in pride. I wish the American MMA outlets (WEC UFC Showtime BoDog) would go to a relaxed rule system. The fights would be more brutal. & After all it's not river dancing..

LESS THAN (intelligent):: I've seen every Fedor Pride Fight and found this in under a minute..

Also, you can't knee to the face in UFC if the opponent has more than two points of contact like in old Pride rules. My piont is the Pride rules were much more lax & made the fights more entertaining. So, Start eating words.

Fedor is a bada$$.

Source(s): Fedor Knockout of Goodridge, Soccer Kick to the head while on the ground, knockout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcfnf9cVRs&feature...
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

@ Sanchez, Everything you're saying is wrong. Theres no way guys like Lesnar carwin or couture could ever beat Fedor. Lesnar and Carwin ane to one demensional for him and Couture hhas never really been that good.

@ Kyle. Although you are right the rules are diffrent in America. Fedors style has NEVER focused on stomps or soccer kicks the fact that these moves are not allowed has not impaired Fedors style in the least. PRIDE folded over 3 years ago. I think its safe to say he know how to fight inside the American rules. Also you cant possibly be implying that the determining factor in Rampage-Wand 3 was the fact Wanderlei couldnt use Soccer kicks and stomps. Thats stupid the fight never even came close to hitting the ground there was never a time where Wandy could have even thrown his stomps or soccer kicks. Rampage won because he was a better fighter that night and hit Wanderlei hard and put him out. Im the biggest Wanderlei fan on the planet and eve i have a realistic idea of what happened in that fight.

LOL you found 1 fight from 8 years ago where he soccer kicks someone. As if that means anything at all

The loss to Werdum seemed Flukey to me. Even after that loss i still considered Fedor #1. The Silva fight however was less flukey. The 1st round was back and forth and Silva really brought it to him in the 2nd round. He beat him fair and square. and becasue of that i do not currently consider him the best in the world. But i still consider him the best that ever lived the " GOAT" if you will

• 4 years ago

"Note: Fedor won against Silva's trainer, Nogueira." What's your point? Silva already beat the guy that just recently beat Fedor...Henderson (who also beat Nogueira). I personally think Silva is the all around better fighter when you consider the amount of dominance, not only in records, but in actual performance. Silva also shows no real signs of letting age get the best of him, which can't be said for Fedor, who is 2 years younger and was recently beat by a 41 year old Henderson, who had a 165 lb weight disadvantage (fought at 1 pound over the HW lower limit of 206).

• 10 years ago

Fedor is definitely not the best fighter in MMA. He was the best heavyweight during his days at Pride, but the UFC's HW division has been the strongest for the past 2-3 years, and Fedor is having trouble surviving in a lesser organization. Unfortunately for him, he is much too small to hang with the big boys now and too big to cut down to light heavyweight.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

No I don't think so. Age and the sophistication and caliber of athletes and fighters that are now fighting have over taken him. He was certainly great in his time but just like what would win a gold medal two or three Olympics ago or the team that won the Super Bowl probably would not fare as well now. The quality and level of training, the quality of athletes and their skill and ability has outstripped him along with age and it is probably a smart move on his part to retire now. Doing so and he goes out somewhat still on top and respected rather than ridiculed and something less than what he was.

• 10 years ago

Unfortunately, no. A number of factors contributed to his downfall, not the least of which was his management's failure to keep him active when he was at the top of his game.

He was the greatest at one point, but this is such a relatively new sport with a steady supply of new fighters who constantly up the levels of competition.

I can't rightly say who the best is at the moment, but Fedor was for a long time (going undefeated for 10 years is no small task).

And Kyle: check your information.

1.When did Fedor KO anybody with "head stomps" and "knees to the face while on the ground"?

Never.

2.When did Unified MMA Rules do away with knees from the thai plum?

Again, never.

3. Showtime isn't a promotion (Strikeforce is), amd Bodog's been gone since 2008.

• 10 years ago

Unfortunately as time goes by people get a little slower, weaker, and less motivated he just isnt as good as he once was but Fedor Emelianenko will indeed go in history as being the absolute best MMA fighter to ever grace this world with his presence

• 10 years ago

LMAO hell no, Cain Velasquez would dominate Fedor. He was the best at one time, but come on 0-2 in his last two fights, fedor jockers need to face reality, he's just getting old it happens to everyone.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

What do you mean by 'still the best'? He's never been the best. There are A LOT of better fighters in heavyweight division in UFC like Velasquez, Lesnar, Carwin and Mir. And maybe Couture even he's quite old. Also Shogun, Rampage, Evans, Griffin, Jones and many others light heavyweights could IMO beat him if they'd fight Fedor.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

currently, no...best of all time, yes. theres no reason for the hate he gets, hes a good person, respects everyone and has the heart of a true warrior. he could lose every fight the rest of his career (if he doesnt retire) and hed still be my favorite fighter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.