Do you think there a lot of innocent people rotting in jail?

For example, my good friend maybe about 4-5 years ago got arrested while he walking home really late at night. When he got picked up he had no idea why he was being arrested and the arresting officers weren't very clear to why they were putting him in the police car. Low and behold the gas station he had walked... show more For example, my good friend maybe about 4-5 years ago got arrested while he walking home really late at night. When he got picked up he had no idea why he was being arrested and the arresting officers weren't very clear to why they were putting him in the police car. Low and behold the gas station he had walked passed had gotten robbed at some point during the night (I am guessing within the hour of him walking by it). So as he is in the police car the officers told him what happened and that they are bringing him to the gas station to be identified. So he started to think "ok well ill get this settled once the person behind the counter says it wasn't me". Turns out the woman who was working there identifies him as the robber (this was at gun point, very serious crime) and he is taken away into custody. Please note that they did not find a weapon or any money on his person so they just took the womans word for it and brought him to jail. So low and behold there were cameras inside the gas station and he realized that. So he kept asking the police and his public defender why don't they look at the cameras in the gas station because that will prove his innocence. He ends up having to write his PD 5 letters until she responded, and it was only until he threatened her to report her to the BARR association that she finally answered him. Long story short he goes to court 6 months later (didn't have enough money for bail or bond) and they finally took a look at the cameras and release him that same day. The funniest part about this whole situation was that the DA tried to get him take a plea of 2 years probation even though they knew he was innocent because of the video tapes. So he flat out refused the plea because he knew he didn't commit the robbery So my question is, do you think there are more stories like this out there and innocent people are sitting in jail waiting for the truth to come out? And why would the DA try to stick him with that plea bargain knowing he was innocent?