So can I sue or is it just a complaint?

I posted earlier about weather or not a landlord can deny me soul based on the fact that I have a child. And was lead to the HUD and FHA websites. She can't! So it says to file a complaint. Do I get any compensation for this discrimination. Or will I have to sue her separately for this?

4 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    discrimination only applies to work situations. and really, a landlord can deny room and board to anyone.... i think with HUD or FHA the apartments/establishments have to be owned by the government and does not apply to ALL apartment complexes but i could be wrong. thats just my understanding of it. (yes i went to the websites) but as far as suing, you have nothing to sue for. you have not lost anything as far as financially so what is there to sue for?

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    If you file a complaint and a regulatory agency takes action, the fine will go to the government, not to you.

    If you want to sue her individually, good luck proving in court that she refused to rent to you because of your child.

  • 9 years ago

    Those rules only apply to government subsidized housing. You cannot sue because you have no damages. You had no financial loss.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think you can sue because someone does not rent to people with children. I think that they can put that in thier rent contracts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.