What is the main difference between a mountain bike and a cross country bike?

I am going to buy the Claud Butler cape wrath 01, as nothing else is really suitable for my local terrain. It ranges from flat country roads to deep muddy tracks with fords, potholes and large rocks and stones. However, i spend around 60-40% off road and on road, almost half and half, most days 90% off road. I tend to go at my own pace but sometimes go for quick race rides. Would a cross country bike be better?

I usually go for 4 hour rides, off and on road, and am planning a trip to the lake and peak district cycling, also a Lands End to John O'groats trip, would either of these bikes be suitable or would I need a touring bike for very long distance?

Thanks

http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/har_0019_...

or

http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/cxc_0001_...

thanks

• John M
    Favorite Answer

I would go with the first one if you want to do trips on the road. The second one only has one 33 tooth chain ring.

The first one would probably be better suited for what you are doing now, the second one won't cope because it hasn't any gears. You can lock the forks when you are on the road, and unlock them whenever you go off road, which will be a great help.

When you do your trips, you should look for something more suitable. The Lake District and Peak District would probably be possible on an off road cycle, but you should have a road cycle for the Lejog.

Even with slick tyres it would be hard work to do something as epic as that on a mountain bike, a road bike will be so much easier, you'll be able to ride faster, so you'll either have more time to rest, or cover a larger distance each day.

One of my cycles is an MTB based hybrid, but it has rigid forks, slick tyres (in the summer, I fit off road tyres to cope with the snow in winter) and road gearing. Even with that set up, it's noticeably slower than my road cycle when ridden over the same route.

Source(s): Personal experience.

Neither of these bikes is suitable for a long ride on road, unless you have unlimited time on your hands. The single speed bike in particular would simply be an awful choice for anything beyond a couple of hours of riding, it has gearing low enough to ride off road, which would make it horribly slow on pavement. For your local off road rides, either of these bikes would work, unless you have steep climbs, then you would need gears. For long distance road rides, you need a road bike of some kind. If you plan to carry baggage, you need a touring bike, if you will have a support vehicle, a lightweight road bike will suffice.

This one is fastest bike.

GMC Topkick Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike

Product Features

- 21-speed mountain bike features a full-suspension, strong aluminum frame

- Floating beam suspension design is mated to a Zoom suspension fork with elastomer/spring technology

- Microshift push shifters and Shimano TZ-30GS derailleur

- Strong aluminum wheelset featuring V-shape rim profile and high-flange alloy hubs

- Front and rear Promax disk brakes work great, even in adverse conditions

• flaig

pass usa forks are lighter and could not take the enormous hits of down hill driving. i could attempt to get a Reba individually. The tora is a so so fork. you may have the capacity to get one on eBay new for around 230 or so. seem on eBay you may consistently get a deal there.