Does parathormone increase or decrease calcium levels in the blood?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Best Answer
That one I remember, it increases calcium levels. One of the first patients I had as a student was a woman who was experiencing severe carpal spasms after thyroidectomy. Seem like the surgeon also removed most of the parathyroids at the same time. A common complication back in those days.

On my board exams in 4+ decades ago it seemed like every third question was on whether calcium or phosphorus levels rose or fell with certain diseases. I must have had a lucky coin to flip that day. A modicum of knowledge of physiology helped, too.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • raz_nat2 answered 3 years ago
    PTH increases calcium in the blood by increasing osteoclast activity (bone breakdown), reabsorption of calcium in the kidneys, and via the intestine where it increases vitamin D production (vitamin D causes increase absorption of calcium via calbindin).
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Troy answered 3 years ago
    and that is why pharmacists don't practice medicine. Parathyroid hormone increases calcium levels in the blood. It is actually the first thing you check when someone has a high calcium. It stimlates osteoclasts to resorb calcium from the bone and also stimulates the kidneys to reabsorb more and as well as ativate vitamin D to increase intestinal absorption.

Source(s):

I'm a physician.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Mm Gg answered 3 years ago
    I dont think they are connected

Source(s):

14 years pharmasist
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock