What is the difference between desktops, workstations and servers?

I know that a server is a computer that provides services to clients.

I know what a desktop is.

If a server provides services to a client, and a desktop is the client.

Then where does the Workstation fit?

How can i differentiate them?

Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Usually a desktop is a stand alone computer. A workstation is powerful desktop computer (in term of CPU/graphic power) that connect to a server. A server is well, a desktop computer configured to serve multiple workstations (it usually have multiple storage and network connections, it also may run a server version of softwares like CAD or Rendering program).

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

A workstation is normally a more powerful desktop. A server is normally a desktop or rackmount computer with 2 power supplies, 2 CPUs, redundant RAM, 2 network cards, etc.

You can't differentiate a computer by looking at it. It depends on the age and the actual use. Today's super top of the line monster is tomorrows junk. What used to be called a powerful server is now called a yard sale throw-away (Compaq used to sell huge servers with 100MHz Pentium CPUs. They don't qualify as toys now - smartphones are more powerful.)

• 9 years ago

A workstation if for people who are involved in video, music, or picture editing , or something related to using a computer for business that requires highly demanding systems.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.