Can someone explain why the Islanders where punished by the NHL more than the Penguins due to the big brawl->?

A couple of nights ago? ->

The NHL suspended New York forwards Trevor Gillies(notes) for nine games and Matt Martin(notes) for four and hit the team with a $100,000 fine late Saturday night, saying the Islanders “must bear some responsibility for their failure to control their players.”

Pittsburgh forward Eric Godard(notes) was the only member of the Penguins’ organization to be punished by the NHL. He received an automatic 10-game suspension because he left the bench to join a fight between New York’s Micheal Haley(notes) and Penguins goalie Brent Johnson(notes).

Pittsburgh also avoided a fine by the league. That drew the ire of Islanders general manager Garth Snow.

In fairness i didn't see the fight yet(Either on Tv or Youtube.) but from what i read there where many players involved in this brawl from both teams. . Until i see the highlights sounds to me like the League is being very double standard.

For the record I'm an Islanders fan & didn't watch the fight. Hopefully will see it on TV or You Tube soon enough.

I respect your answer Pensfan87 & all the others answers i gotten so far. Like i said i didn't see what happened yet. I'm just trying to figure out if so many players where involved on both sides that why where the Isles got fined & more players suspended than the Penguins. And also why the League didn't fine the Pens.

• Favorite Answer

I watched the game....

Have to respectfully disagree with PensFan87. The Islanders weren't upset over Johnson breaking DP's face. They were upset over the ENTIRE PENGUINS BENCH LAUGHING ABOUT IT AFTERWARDS! It was shown on the video screen in Pittsburgh numerous times. As a team missing Crosby, laughing about another players' injury isn't very classy.

Talbot also blind-sided Comeau in the same game, leaving Comeau with a concussion and still out. It was a controversial hit, but the NHL didn't take any action, just like they didn't take any action on the Crosby hit, which Pens fans have been crying about. As I have previously, Talbot had to know he was going to be targeted. He needed to answer the bell when challenged, but he didn't. What Martin did WAS wrong, but Talbot needed to honor The Code and take his beatdown. If he had, maybe what resulted never takes place.

Johnson-Healey: Johnson should have stayed in his crease instead of skating to the blueline and running his trap. He practically challenged Healey to come after him. Plus, Healey scored a nice goal, beating a Pens defender one-on one, then faking Johnson out of his jock. Not many 'goons' can do that!

I wonder why Pens didn't get fined for failure to control either. Godard leaving the bench, right or wrong, was a failure to control. Adams was looking for trouble at the end of the game as well. Too bad for him he got stuck with Jurcina. Pens defensemen ran Grabner and Okposo into Johnson. Every time the Pens got rough, the Islanders responded. The fact that Pittsburgh had less players at the end of the game than NY shows a failure to control on the Pens' part as well.

To add, any team that has Matt Cooke on their roster needs to not call the kettle black.

Because the Islanders wanted nothing more than to hurt as many Penguins as possible, and nothing else. And I think the NHL knew that they just wanted to get revenge on Brent Johnson for injuring Rick DiPietro. If you watch the game you will see that the Islanders started the majority of the fights.

And I saw this coming. As soon as I found out Johnson was starting in goal I said to myself "there is going to be some bad blood tonight".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vva44QshVI

Youtube thumbnail

There now you've seen it. This fight really is what makes hockey so great. Very entertaining to watch. And to answer your question I really think the NHL got it right, the islanders started the brawl, and the penguins were just defending themselves more than anything, except for godard. That was unnecessary but every team has its goon, nothing you can do about that.

@pensfan87 I'm pretty sure the islanders goal wasn't just to start a big brawl. They came to play also, as proven by the 9-3 score. It was just a couple people on their team who felt the need to goon it up. Nevertheless, that was a great post and I agree with you.

Alot of Penguins fans got cocky, but I never felt that way. The Islanders were on a hot streak heading into the playoffs and plus they have a very solid young team, so for me at least I wasn't very surprised that they gave The Pens trouble. Your team is going to be a big threat in the next coming years.

The Islanders main job was to hurt the Penguins. I'm no Penguins fan but I watched some of the game and the Isles were playing very dirty. They were up by 5 or 6 goals with little time left and they were playing dirty and going for blindside hits.

The reason the Islanders were fined, and Gillies and Martin suspended, was for intentional blind side hits to the head. Both Gillies and Martin went after players by punching them from behind, and the league is viewing that as intent to injure penalties. Since there were two players penalized for this, the league saw it fit to fine the team as well. Both sides should share blame for the game getting out of hand, and few Penguins haven't been taken to task for their dirty hits as much as they should (so Lemieux needs to stop whining with Cooke on his roster).

• GTAP!!

Apparently the Penguins are the golden team. The NHL will do anything to help the Penguins. They were rooting for them against the Red Wings. I guarantee that if Sissy Crybaby was in that fight he would only get a 3 game suspension maybe even no suspension. The NHL front office is so biased to the Penguins and Crybaby that you can expect little punishment towards them.

• jay k

This was a carryover from the previous game. The Isles were the team who were trying to start crud and get payback, not the Pens. It was an Isles player who attempted to sucker punch Talbot from behind when Talbot wasn't looking. And another Isles player decided to hit a Pens player with a dirty hit, punch him while he was injured and continue to smack talk while he was laying on the ice with a trainer trying to help him out. Most of what happened in my opinion was a result of the Isles, not the Pens.

The Islanders took several cheap shots. Majority of the fights were started by the Islanders and the Pens were just defending themselves. And to me, to show no respect like the Isles to a visiting team is just wrong. I don't know which fight you're referring to but I'm assuming the Haley Johnson fight, maybe? Haley fought Talbot and once he won that fight he skated to the other side of the rink to pick a fight with Johnson even though he didn't really do anything, if anything he should have thanked him for letting in that many goals. I guess frustration since Johnson broke DiPietro's face.

Source(s): Penguins fan, and I watched the game

Gillies was suspended for so many games because he left the penalty box to fight, before his penalty was over.