What is the symbolism of rhyme schemes or patterns?

I know there must be some sort of reason for the pattern of rhyming in poems. I know there is no studies of this subject, but I was hoping for some people's theories, any one's theories. I have a few ideas for simple things like AABB. AABB stands for solitude and/or loneliness because the AABB requires no specific order, it can be easily manipulated and moved around for it has no connection with any other but it's own. ABAB stands for the exact opposite, togetherness and love, because the rhymes cannot be separated for they need each other to stay together. What I'm curious about is some more complicated rhyme schemes like AABA or ABBA. What do they mean? What do they symbolize? When and when should I not use them? What do they stand for to you?

• Dinesh
    Favorite Answer

According to me, though it's POSSIBLE to write any kind of poem in any rhyme scheme, it's always good to choose the respective rhyme scheme for elevated feel.

And about your question, I think ABBA stands for a confused/dreamy state of the poet's mind... Or shall we say 'Sur-real' verses? This view proves right in many famous poems (Especially Wordsworth's and Oscar Wilde's). The split of the rhyme 'A', and the enclosed rhyme of 'B' contribute to the confusion. This offers for a lot of imagery, but the reader gets easily annoyed if there isn't good diction and language.

AABA, I think, is more for the casual writes. If it were AAAA, it would be amateurish. So, an additional 'B' takes it to the casual level.

So, AABB, ABAB, AABA and ABBA are the basic rhyme schemes. The other twisted rhyme schemes (As in 'Divine Comedy'), only derive their effects from the basic ones.

Once again, these are only my interpretations, and it's always possible to break the rules of rhyme and rhythm. Just that, it would be better if the rules aren't broken.

Rhyme Scheme Aaba