Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationOther - Games & Recreation · 9 years ago

Tip for writing Dungeons & Dragons adventures?

I just started playing D&D 4e(i have played 3.5e for the longest time as a player) and this edition makes me want to DM a little bit. it would helpfully if i could get some advice or Tips on how to write an adventures and campaigns. thank you!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You must create your own adventure but I can help give you some ideas.

First you must know your party. (how many, what classes/races).

Most adventures include or are made up of quests. The best quests are when you are working for someone towards a certain goal.

-a god has lost a powerful magic item, you must find it

-a village is being attacked by dire wolves or a troll and the chieftain wants you to defeat this monster

-a mage needs the reagents for his spell, you must collect them (but of course they're guarded)

All adventures include some sort of monster to defeat or puzzle to solve. Its especially fun when it includes both of them. (a maze in the form of an abandoned mine full of/inhabited by goblins or kobolds)

In addition make sure to include a reward for your players or an incentive for them to complete the quest. An adventure can also be made up of a series of quests or be one big quest with mini-quests along the way so that the whole adventure last longer than one short quest.

Make sure to keep a store of different possible outcomes in case your party decides to go a different way then you expected them to. Also keep a couple random events handy in case the game comes to a standstill and you need to liven things up to keep the players on their toes.

Be sure to read the DM's guide! It is very useful.

In addition, you can buy prefabricated adventures and base your own adventure off of it or add custom parts to the pre-fab adventure. If you're using only a prefab be careful! Unless you know you can trust your players, don't let them know you are running the adventure from a prefab otherwise they may get their hands on a copy and they'll know the whole adventure as well as being able to avoid all your traps.

Hope this helps! good luck dm-ing!

Source(s): personal experience v3.5 dm guide Advanced D&D dm guide
  • 9 years ago

In 4E, probably the toughest part is developing skill challenges that don't develop into merely boring dierolling experiences. Some of the most interesting encounters I've experienced have been those where a skill and combat encounter are combined. A possible example:

The party finds a long-forgotten evil shrine and, while exploring it, activates a portal that begins summoning wave after wave of undead. Altho merely minions at first, as time passes more powerful undead begin arriving in the mix. The party then has to decide who's going to try and hold off the undead hordes and who tries to decativate the portal. (Especially effective if the mix of skills are such that party members have to swap out from time to time because different skills become necessary.

• KA
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Roleplayingtips.com has lots of good advice on building adventures. Googling "writing d20 adventures" turns up a number of interesting sites as well. If you can get ahold of them, the Dungeoncraft articles from Dungeon Magazine were also very useful, though not 4e specific. Sites such as Gnomestew.com can also offer valuable insight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.