Anyone hear of the US military considering switching back to 45 acp?

I read this somewhere a month or two ago, don't remember. I wonder if this could be true?

Anyone hear this?

There was also mention of the availability of high capacity 45 cal pistols today.

I believe the 40 cal Glock is definitely a rumor.

Favorite Answer

You may of heard some misinterpreted information... the SOC (Special Operations Command) ordered about 650,000 .45 ACP pistols, however, the entire military has not. As for now, the bulk of the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard are sticking to the 9x19mm.

However, this could be a sign. In the 80's when Beretta came to the US with the M9, the Navy gave them to a few SEAL Teams. After using them in combat, the SEALs highly regarded the new 9mm pistol so the US began phasing it in. Now, the SEALs are again being issued a new pistol, I believe it's the .45 ACP HK Mk. 23. They seem to be liking it which made SOCOM buy up those few hundred thousand .45s. It seems to me that the military is gearing up to move back... they certainly could use it since high capacity .45s are available and the extra stopping power would be beneficial.

I also believe that many USMC SOC MEU's and Delta already use .45 ACP even though it's against NATO. However, there is a great potential for change in PDW caliber. I just wouldn't get too comfortable with the idea just yet, on account that the military spending budget has been cut due to the economy and therefore, the military would be very unwilling to phase in a totally new firearm (EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE) as well as retrain all of our troops to become familiar with the new pistol (also very costly and time consuming).

• ?

There has been quite a bit of interest in doing so, because the 9mm NATO pistol round is not considered a "man-stopper". There's also been interest in re-issuing the .45 cal. Thompson sub-machine gun because it appears that this weapon is far more effective in urban warfare. As usual, big money will govern the decision, not practicality. Such has always been the case with America's Armed Forces.

The Marines use a .45 ACP pistol made by Kimber, but it goes against NATO because they use the 9mm NATO.

• Oreo

They can not me since a 45 dont hold that many rounds even though it has a bit more knock down power then the 9mm

Source(s): Im a big capacity clip man

I heard they are going to go with the Glock .40 cal.

Only spec ops guys. The .45 is only manufactured in the U.S., so supply is short overseas. The 9mm is manufactured in great quantities, is cheaper, and lighter

I have not heard this. I know the F.N.H 5 7 should be the choice.