Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 9 years ago

Theft of "time" by co-workers! Is there a way to handle this with out being 'informed' by your new...?

Supervisor (that I just trained for said position...) that I'm "ratting out" a co-worker. I'm now somehow, 'complicit' in this because she 'confided' in me again about her padding her time card, using the company car for personal errands, and that everyone else but me does this and I'm a "goody two shoe" for being honest & working with integrity!

Edit: I brought this to the attention of my new supervisor last week. My co-worker has for a 2nd time confessed to theft & time card fudging. I'm angry to be put in this position and fearful of reporting it again, only to be told that I'm "ratting" her out!

Edit #2:

I had to train my New Supervisor for the position. His choosing not to take action upon this employee and as many as 10 others... at the minimum, costs the company $9,180.00 per year.

Edit #3:

Thanks! Both of you!

I'm not complicit.

I'll shun this coworker and those that she learned this behavior from.

Shheeesh! I need a new job! *;*

• Mack
    Favorite Answer

[that I'm "ratting out" a co-worker--I'm angry to be put in this position]

Your view of these circumstances may differ from the view of your supervisor. You supervisor most likely is well aware of the circumstances and has been prior to your employment.

Sometimes, supervisors look the other way for their 'valued' employees, particularly when the supervisor lacks the ability to provide these employees with an increase in pay.

Most likely, your regular responsibilities do not include "ratting out" "co-workers". You are in this position because you choose to place yourself there.

You have done your part by informing your supervisor of your observations -- the next step is "there is no next step". Once you have done your part the best thing now is to focus on your job and your responsibilities and forget about your co-workers and their issues -- just worry about you and your job!

• edit

Ratting out others is not considered a virtue. Unless your company handbook requires you to tell on people who are guilty of time "theft," stop making it your concern. Mind your own business, conduct yourself with integrity; your life will speak for itself. If you are not in a position of authority over those who are guilty of time theft, it is not your place to do anything about it. It is job of their authority to handle it. More than likely, the authority is aware of the time theft and has chosen not to do anything about it. Why? It would be hard to speculate. Sometimes supervisors show favoritism to certain employees, such that it seems like they can get away with just about anything. Sometimes supervisors don't want to bring an ethical problem to light if they are guilty of it themselves, fearing that the resultant investigation might incriminate them as well. Some companies are just fairly tolerant, not concerned so much with work hours, as long as their employees are productive enough to complete their projects on time and bring profit to the company.

I'm not saying this as someone who doesn't understand. I have coworkers who sit and talk, or sit and play video games, nearly all day, then charge the company for 8 hour workdays. They are favorites of the boss, so they can get away with anything. But if I miss time from work, they want to know where I was. I know how you feel. But ultimately - even if it annoys me, or feels unfair - it is really none of my business. It's not my place to rat anyone out; I'm not in a position of authority. All I can do is do my job and let the authorities handle - or not handle - the problem the way they think is best. I'm sure they are at least somewhat aware of the problem, so if they choose not to do anything about it, that is their choice, not mine.