Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 9 years ago

Can I live in a shed on a land that I own?

Basically I want to buy land in the stakes where there's nobody but trees and grass, so the price would be cheap and I want to buy a shed and put it on the land I own and live there, I would hunt for the food, I'll eat grasshoppers or other insects if I have to, but before I reach that level I will do something else for food, such as growing my own veggies, hunt some rabbits or deer and such, and I like to buy something that will generate electricity for me, I heard about a bicycle that you buy, when you pedal it, it will generate electricity and you can hook it to a plug and use it, As for water I will drink rainwater, of course I need to buy a filter or something to drink it.

I have $50k to start this, I have a car but no house, the shed will be my house.

I need to know the legality of this. This is like a survivalism kind of thing, any website that teach me how to do it?

Favorite Answer

John Smith,

I know of no law that would prevent you from living as you wish on your own land. You could even pitch a tent and live the life of a camper. Building codes usually only apply in a county or city and usually a suburb is the center of attention. If you have to electrical wiring or plumbing, there would be no building code violations. As far as you living off the land, as long as you're not trespassing on another's property and hunting illegally, then that wouldn't be a problem either.

good luck

Live In A Shed

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Basically I want to buy land in the stakes where there's nobody but trees and grass, so the price would be cheap and I want to buy a shed and put it on the land I own and live there, I would hunt for the food, I'll eat grasshoppers or other insects if I have to, but before I reach that...

Source(s): live shed land own: https://tr.im/BP0bN

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av9x8

You can. You do not have to have electricity, however you do have to install a legal sewer system and have a bathroom that is blocked off from the rest of the shed. A septic tank installation will take about 30k of that 50, not leaving you much for land. You can only hunt during legal hunting seasons, and only on your property. In many states you have to own at least a 100 acres to hunt on it. Your state department of fish and game will tell you how much land you will have to purchase.

Hey don't sweat the knockers - go and live like you want! Plenty of people live in sheds - I don't know where you are but go to whatever building authority there is for the area and ask. Everything you want to do is possible - my advice is to research it all before you move. If you want to do it even cheaper then build your own shed - if you buy one and have it transported it will cost heaps more. Plan the whole lot or you'll blow your cash learning as you go.

if there's no dickass laws governing how you can live, yes you can do this. in my area you can't because off some d1cks that made it illegal.

I'm actually planning something like that for myself when I save up enough to move to another state and buy land out in the sticks.

be aware, some states like Colorado has some crazy water regulations, you can be "stealing" water from the state even if its just rainfall on your own property. Utah has something similar.

for survivalism there's prepper/survivalism forums,

http://www.survivalistboards.com/

http://www.whenshtf.com/

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/

Source(s): planning to do similar in the future, but only for temporary residence until I can build my own house. (figure 10 years to build a house with my own 2 hands)

Buy a mobile home / caravan. They are usually cheap.

Buy the land and live on it.

For electric I suggest a Wind Turbine.

If you are in the USA you are lucky nobody is likely to complain. In the UK the local government

will be all over you. Conform! conform! conform! Live in a little hovel pay huge taxes.

• Budge

You give your available cash in dollars so I assume you are in the States. In the UK you could not do this without planning permission which would be very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Source(s): www.planningandenforcement.com

instead of a shed why not just buy a used RV

• 3 years agoReport

Maybe he doesn't want an rv???

Cool story bro.