RobinJacksBabe asked in PetsHorses · 10 years ago

Can coffin bone fractures cause rotation?

Can coffine bone fractures cause coffin bone rotation? What about serious sole bruises?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • gallop
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Neither one directly causes coffin bone rotation. In order for the bone to rotate, the process of laminitis has to be present. While laminitis can occur without founder (bone rotation or sinking), founder cannot occur without laminitis. The bone is suspended like a hammock within the hoof capsule and above the sole corium by the laminae and is securely attached. A "glue" that binds the bone to the laminae of the hoof capsule along with a velcro-like arrangement is called basement membrane. An enzyme called matrix metalloproteinase (mmp) normally breaks down this glue in balance with its being rebuilt to accommodate hoof growth. But in laminitis levels of mmps rise and destruction exceeds rebuilding, so that the bone is separated from its attachment to the laminae. Blood supply to the tissue is lost and the process may continue if nothing is done to halt it.

Multiple causes for laminitis to develop have been identified and research is still revealing more new information on it.

A coffin bone fracture may involve or lead to conditions within the hoof that begin the process of laminitis similar to what occurs in road founder. Bruising is usually from damage to the vascular sole corium and the concussion and metabolic changes within the hoof could lead to development of laminitis. Neither condition consistently or inevitably leads to development of laminitis. These types of laminitis and founder occur more often when the horse's toes are kept long or have overgrown. If the horse is also getting a diet high in soluble carbohydrates, or too much fructan from lush pastures, the risk of laminitis and founder multiplies. Also, horses with metabolic disorders like insulin resistance or Cushing's are more prone to development of laminitis.

Source(s): Registered Nurse and 57 years with horses Laminitis research
  • Anita
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I have not come across anything in my reading about coffin bone fractures leading to rotation. Serious sole bruising makes sense though. Either bruising from the trauma that initially caused the fracture, or just blood loss from the fracture itself. Traditionally the coffin bone is stabilized with a bar shoe with multiple clips, but I think Equi-cast does as good, or better at stabilizing a hoof.

Source(s): http://www.equicast.us/ farrier since 1988
  • Ron Sr
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Any injury to the hoof can cause rotation, especially to the coffin bone.

• Mel
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

It seems to me that anything that could cause inflammation within the hoof capsule could lead to laminitis which could lead to rotation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.