Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 9 years ago

I'm looking for a song title and where I may find it?

I remember the main verse was "Of all the things I had to be, why did I have to be a gun." It was a song like it was actually the gun talking to you. It was a country song. I asked one of the local DJ's and she said she thought 2 brothers sang it, but it was kind of a 1 hit wonder.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like a Johnny Cash song, although I’m only saying that because he wrote a song where instead of a truck driver, the protagonist is the truck itself.

I would start here: http://www.bmi.com (Broadcast Music, Inc.’s site) because BMI was/is often the "performing rights society" associated with country writers, and I presume you’re doing a search for the right to use the song somehow, unless it’s just for your own interest or collection.

Another good way to track down obscure country songs like that would be to network with some knowledgeable DJs who either were DJing when the song aired (the basic decade should be close enough), by searching for the history of country stations in the region where you heard it. If you could honestly say it’s an obscure classic, you might try asking Cowboy Nick at KXLU FM in Los Angeles. If he can’t help you get the title, at least he could probably give you some leads on older DJs who could help. http://www.kxlu.com

My third idea for you is to track down an older/country-focused "music supervisor" or "music director" in the film industry, since such folks are responsible for uncovering gems like you’re suggesting you heard, and you never know, you might end up serving that person up a great lead and hear it on a soundtrack.

Check this: http://www.aandronline.com/all-access/music_superv... and FYI whoever replies to your well-written email or pleasant phone call will likely be so glad that your motive is not to hae your song used by them that they may really go to bat for you. The URL I pasted for these people is actually to sell you a compendium/reference guide, but at least it’ll help you learn the basic jargon they use, and your local (music) library may have a copy of this book or one like it, especially if you can find such a library in a music town like Nashville or L.A.

Although I was a country musician for about seven years, I’m no expert on the literature. Still, there are surprisingly many aficianados of funky old country songs, even in unlikely places (I know a few MDs who moonlight in folk, blues, country, etc.). For the price of a beer or two you might be surprised at how knowledgeable of kindred spirits you could find by bellying up to a cowboy bar (presuming you aren’t restricted to using the ’net to do your search) and getting friendly with a bartender or patron or two.

Lastly, I suggest you check into contacting the aging but lovable host of a folk music radio program (that has tended to air "fringe" or one-hit wonder material) called The Folk Scene, which Roz and Howard Larman aired on KPFK-FM in Los Angeles for maybe 30+ years on that powerhouse (left-leaning) station. Howard is no longer with us, but maybe Roz, if you can reach her, could tell you whom could answer your question definitively in an instant. I’m sorry I don’t know exactly the answer, but that’s the best I can offer. Good luck!

• links
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It was once firstly known as Londonderry Air and was once written in 1894 by means of Katherine Tynan Hinkson.The such a lot standard lyrics for this track are "Danny Boy the pipes the pipes are calling" and so forth. These have been written in 1910 by means of an english legal professional known as Frederick Edward Weatherly and those lyrics have been set to the track of Londonderry Air in 1913 and is now such a lot popularly referred to as "Danny Boy"

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

If you've ever been curious to know who asked you anonymous questions on ask.fm, you can find out by using this ask.fm anonymous finder. http://is.gd/DH4cQt

It reveals the username of the anonymous on ask.fm!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.