If I'm lonely and depressed, will a cat help me feel better?

I am 22 yrs old and living alone for the first time in my life. In these past 4 months, I have become very lonely and a bit antisocial. It is hard to make new friends and I find myself not even trying lately. I also sometimes get really scared at night when I come back home from work because it's soo quiet and... show more I am 22 yrs old and living alone for the first time in my life. In these past 4 months, I have become very lonely and a bit antisocial. It is hard to make new friends and I find myself not even trying lately. I also sometimes get really scared at night when I come back home from work because it's soo quiet and disturbing in my old apartment...I'm scared to sleep sometimes. Will a cat help with my depression and fear?? We can't have dogs in my apt building... just cats or fish, and I don't think fish will help much... Is a cat right for me?