Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

australians-what is the correct pronunciation of "Melbourne"?

as an american, it seems like it's supposed to be pronounced "MEL-born", but my neighbor says it differently, kind of like "MEL-bin". thanks!

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The correct pronunciation is actually more like Mel-bn.

Only Americans say Mel-born and we cringe every time we hear it.

Source(s): Born and bred in Mel-bn and spent the first 27 years of my life there.
  • 6 years ago

An interesting note from an American observation to an old conversation. There are 2 cities I know here in America also called Melbourne. One in Florida and one in Arkansas. (Probably more, but those are the ones I know) Most people I know from the one in Arkansas (my brother use to live there) its pronounced Mel-burn. And when I've heard people from the Florida version say it, its been "Mel-Born"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Cranbourne is actually pronounced Cran-burn... Melbourne is pronounced Mel-bn. I've also heard Americans say "G"-long for Geelong, it's more of a j'long. Anyway.. clearly we're lazy on our vowels!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I say Mel-burn. We always have a little chuckle when we hear Americans saying Melborn (in a friendly way, of course!).

There is a suburb in Melbourne called Cranbourne, which is pronounced Cran-born. Where's the logic?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Simple,

Mel - say it as it's read

bourne - say it as it's read "born"

That is the correct way.

Australian's (I am one), tend to be lazy at pronunciation & grammer and use bin, ben, burn

• vos
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Australian Pronunciation

• 1 decade ago

americans pronounce it Melborrrn where as we either pronounce it Melburn or Melben (the ben part of it kinda sounds like a new zealander saying ben) I pronounce it Melben and I am from Melbourne. and Geelong is pronounced jalong like the guy above said

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

australians-what is the correct pronunciation of "Melbourne"?

as an american, it seems like it's supposed to be pronounced "MEL-born", but my neighbor says it differently, kind of like "MEL-bin". thanks!

Source(s): australians correct pronunciation quot melbourne quot: https://biturl.im/xxpi1
  • Karen
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Well, I suppose it depends on the person but the corret pronunciation is Mel BURN.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You can pronounce it like "Melb'n", with a missing vowel between the 'b' and 'n'. Or pronounce it as "Melben". But please, whatever you do, do not pronounce it like "Mel-born" with emphasis on the 'r' lol.

Take a look at these videos where they pronounce Melbourne....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.