australians-what is the correct pronunciation of "Melbourne"?

as an american, it seems like it's supposed to be pronounced "MEL-born", but my neighbor says it differently, kind of like "MEL-bin". thanks!

• Brooky
    Favorite Answer

The correct pronunciation is actually more like Mel-bn.

Only Americans say Mel-born and we cringe every time we hear it.

Source(s): Born and bred in Mel-bn and spent the first 27 years of my life there.

An interesting note from an American observation to an old conversation. There are 2 cities I know here in America also called Melbourne. One in Florida and one in Arkansas. (Probably more, but those are the ones I know) Most people I know from the one in Arkansas (my brother use to live there) its pronounced Mel-burn. And when I've heard people from the Florida version say it, its been "Mel-Born"

Cranbourne is actually pronounced Cran-burn... Melbourne is pronounced Mel-bn. I've also heard Americans say "G"-long for Geelong, it's more of a j'long. Anyway.. clearly we're lazy on our vowels!

I say Mel-burn. We always have a little chuckle when we hear Americans saying Melborn (in a friendly way, of course!).

There is a suburb in Melbourne called Cranbourne, which is pronounced Cran-born. Where's the logic?

Simple,

Mel - say it as it's read

bourne - say it as it's read "born"

That is the correct way.

Australian's (I am one), tend to be lazy at pronunciation & grammer and use bin, ben, burn

• vos

Australian Pronunciation

americans pronounce it Melborrrn where as we either pronounce it Melburn or Melben (the ben part of it kinda sounds like a new zealander saying ben) I pronounce it Melben and I am from Melbourne. and Geelong is pronounced jalong like the guy above said

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): australians correct pronunciation quot melbourne quot: https://biturl.im/xxpi1
  • Karen

Well, I suppose it depends on the person but the corret pronunciation is Mel BURN.

• ?

You can pronounce it like "Melb'n", with a missing vowel between the 'b' and 'n'. Or pronounce it as "Melben". But please, whatever you do, do not pronounce it like "Mel-born" with emphasis on the 'r' lol.

Take a look at these videos where they pronounce Melbourne....