Does it disappoint you out when a straight actor plays gay without sexual contact?

Best Answer

Not really. As several people have said, it's acting. It doesn't bother me that Leonard Nimoy isn't really Vulcan, either.

There are some interesting stories along those lines, though. Eric McCormack, who played Will in "Will and Grace" was straight. John Barrowman, who is gay, was in the final three for the part and lost because the producers didn't think he acted "gay enough". Barrowman is still po'd about that. Personally, I can't decide if the story is funny or irritating.

• Pamela

I feel the same way about straight actors playing gays as I do about gay actors playing straights. You don't actually have to BE gay to play a gay character, any more than you have to be straight to play a straight character. That's why its called "ACTING" and not just "being yourself". Obviously those straight actors are doing an excellent acting job playing gay characters, since they had you convinced they actually WERE gay until you looked them up. Isn't that the important thing -- that they're able to be convincing in the role? And maybe it wouldn't be bad to have more gay actors play gay characters, but there are so few 'out' gay actors that that isn't very feasible, is it? The truth is that gay actors, for the most part, are reluctant to come out for fear of being stereotyped into ONLY playing gay roles and being passed over for straight roles.

It usually has little to do with the actor's orientation. It's a matter of what the director calls for, whether the actor is willing to do a nude scene, and what rating the producer wants. If you want to see hot actors graphically do the deed, go rent or buy a pure porno flick.

A lil bit. Man, I can't wait for James Franco to get a little raunchy. He stated how much he enjoys playing gay. He could play gay with me any day! lol

• Lucius

Not really, no. it is just entertainment. If they are stereotypical gay it does bother me some though.

I would like to see more gay people in TV Shows, Movies, etc though.

I hate it when a gay or bisexual person lies about his sexuality. But in this case your talking about actors. That is what they do.

Actor? Nah. Not interest in. I rather real men in my local city. Because it's impossible you can't get a guy what you think you want. :)

no, as i do not watch movies(i just say movies because i don't watch much tv) for the purpose of viewing sexual contact.

i get disappointed when a girl playing a lesbian is straight in real life.

No, i'd rather look on how he play his part as a gay..