promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
madison asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

im having horse trailer issues!?

ok so i have a two horse trailer but it has a ramp and no divider. my horse is terrified of riding in the trailer and when we drive he stomps all around and tries to turn around its very scary does anyone have any ideas of how to make a divider so it will be safer and how i can train my horse to be calmer in the trailer? thanks

Update:

ok i don't think you understand the question yes of coarse i tie him with trailer ties im not stupid but while in the trailer tied he swings his but around and he stumbles around and i want to know if anyone knows how to build a safe divider so he doesnt fall over in the trailer.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • PeaBee
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Really, there are many other factors here. If he is leaving pasture buddies, he may get frantic in the trailer. That is normal. He may whinny and move all around to find them.

If he is not a good traveler, start taking him on very short hauls and offer a hay bag up front. Stop in a safe parking lot and let him eat. Take him home and unload him. Fifteen minute segements.

To build a simple divider you need someone to weld a divider with two legs the length of your floor space. The legs should be roughly 4 ft tall. On the front leg, you weld a loop or two. On the front of the trailer by the manger you weld more loops. Then you use a drop pin to hold the front in.

On the back, you weld on two butt chains with rubber to protect the tail and hair and snap holders on the side of the trailer. The back leg is free standing but held in place by the 2 butt chains.

Between the two legs, you have a simple rectangle of pipe. with a support in the middle.

You can use square or round pipe. The base of the legs would have some kind of a finished end so they don't eat into your mats or wood, like a flanged end.

So the whole thing is open concept. It is light enough to carry and install but keeps him on his side.

Let's see if I can do a sketch:

I________________

I I I

I I I

I_______I________ I

I I

I I

I I

The center rectangle is only about 16 inches deep.

You could assemble most of this with round metal pipe and pipe fittings except for the loops needed to fasten it to the front and side walls.

This is actually the type of removable center divider we have in our purchased trailer and I love it.

EDIT: The whole drawing got destroyed when I posted it. Picture two boxes side by side with legs extending from the bottoms of the outside ends and you will have it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

why do you think the divider is the issue? do you tie him to the trailer before leaving? Most horses are fine with out a divider unless traveling with another horse. If you have him tied he should be fine. Go to a welder they can fix you up and it shouldn't cost much.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Sure, have someone weld in 2 pieces of pipe where you want the divider to start. Then either use a metal sheet with pipe welded to the outside edges or just a piece of 3/4 treated plywood with something to hook into the pipes you welded in. Some hay and a rubber matte helps too.

• 9 years ago

start with teaching your horse to stand nicely outside the trailer before you start working in the trailer. you want him to stand nicely for extended amounts of time before you start trailering him. you can teach him this by tying him to a strong tree with nothing around to hurt himself on, and only let him have less then one foot of room to throw his head so he can't hurt himself. dont give him hay or oats or anything, you want him t learn that he does not need food to stand. after you work on this put him in the trailer and just tie him up, dont move the trailer or anything, just have him stay tied for a little while. after you are content with his standing skills, let him be for the night, work on the trailering for a few days and just start moving it a short distance. After some time, and practice, he should trailer fine. good luck! :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ron Sr
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I haul my horses in a 4 horse stock trailer loose, I never tie them. if you tie them and they do fall they can not get back up.

• 9 years ago

tie the horse with trailer ties, that should resolve your issue

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i would try to tie a hay net with hay in it it sometimes help with the stomping problem it gives them something to do while hauling and go to your local wedder and im sure they can wed something in the middle for u.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.