Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

What is a good size aquarium for a freshwater tank?

I want to set up a large fish tank in my basement and I wanted to put tons of freshwater fish. What is a good size to set up with lots of plants, etc. I do not want 10 or 20 gallons because those are too small.

• Kim
    Favorite Answer

This depends solely on the fish you would like to keep. If you want to do tetra's and such anything from 15+ will do. Most tropical community tanks can be achieved with about 20+ gallons. I would personally go with a 40+ gallon tank but that's just me. I like keeping large numbers of fish or larger fish. For plants watch out. They need special lighting and substrate the larger you go on planted tanks the more expensive it becomes I have a 20 long that I'm making into a planted tank and it's cost me about 300 so far for the lighting substrate plants and filters alone. 40 gallons is a decent size. Allows for a good amount of smaller community fish. If it's your first tank the bigger the better because it will be more forgiving with tank maintenance and water quality (to a degree). Large aquariums with the right stock = more time before toxic build up. But in a small >20 gallon tank it really only takes a few days for toxins to build up. I have a 55 gallon tank and that's a "medium" size for me that will have Malawian cichlids in it. The bigger you go the more options you have.

Anything from 25-30 and up opens lots of doors for keeping fish. Its all just how much money you want to spend and how large you want the tank. I've seen tanks of all sizes do great fish and set-up wise, so keep in mind the larger the tank the more fish you can keep and there will be more variety.

• aks

There really isn't any way to answer your question without you saying what fish you want and how many. All fish have different tank size requirements.

If you want a lot of fish though, the bigger the better. Get the biggest tank you can afford.

Tons of freshwater fish you say? With lots of plants?

500 to 1000 gallons would be a good start...

Source(s): ><>B<><

You should get a 90 gallon. Thats are decent size.

• ?

Your question can't be answered unless you specify the species and quantity of fish you'd like to keep.

55 gallon or 40 gallon or 30 gallon or whatever you have the room for.