Having trouble understanding Leukemia?

So in leukemia there is abnormal WBC production and the abnormal WBCs rule out the normal WBCs and sometimes RBCs which make fighting infection almost impossible on their own but why do they present with high WBC count? Do the immature and abnormal WBCs still show up as WBCs on the CBC??

• Sach
    Favorite Answer

Leukemia causes crowding of the bone marrow with abnormal WBCs, that may be mature or immature, depending on the type of Leukemia.

Crowding due to such cells makes the bone marrow unable to produce healthy blood cells, platelets etc. The accumulation of these malignant cells spill over into the bloodstream and spread to other organs of the body.

The high WBC count in leukemia is because of the crowding by abnormal WBCs that don't help in fighting infection.

This is different from the increase in normal-WBC count because of the normal WBCs that help in fighting infection. This helps a normal person fight infections.

The high number of white blood cells are apparent when a blood sample is viewed under a microscope. Frequently, these show up as extra white blood cells that are immature (blast forms) or mature and dysfunctional. The excessive number of cells can also interfere with the level of other cells, causing a harmful imbalance in the CBC.

I'm sorry I wouldn't be able to tell you, because I have not even read about this. But I will suggest that if you are a young person, and seeing that you do have an interest in science, to go ahead and study to become involved in the medical field. Science is indeed interesting and it is extremely important.

Good luck.