Brian F asked in SportsHockey · 9 years ago

Anyone watch the Penguin/Islander game?

There was 65 penalties that totaled 346 minutes and including 10 ejections. 15 fighting majors and 20 misconducts and was a record for most combined penalty minutes. I couldn't believe this game, what Matt Martin did to Max Talbot was despicable. There is no room for that in hockey, it was reminiscent of what Todd Bertuzzi did on Steve Moore. I understand they wanted revenge on Talbot but you can't sucker punch a guy like that. Then when Trevor Gillies elbowed Eric Tangradi and then proceeded to punch him on the ground and taunt him after he got up was just no class. Then if that wasn't enough Micheal Haley goes down to fight Brett Johnson who is the Pens backup goalie. You just don't do that, what happen between Johnson and DiPietro was a fair fight but this is ridiculous. Hopefully the league will deal out some justice.

Those of you that said this happens all the time are clearly missing the part were I said this was a record for most penalties. I am all for fights and big hits in hockey, this was not hockey, it was just chaos, at least the second half of the game was. And for you that think this is what makes hockey interesting and exciting then you have never played hockey or understood the true nature of the sport. There a rhythm and fluency in hockey that is unmatched by any other, but there wasn't any of that here. I think Talbot's hit wasn't called for and he shouldn't have done it but, how are the Islanders cheap shots justifying that? Lolo Tomgirl and FlapJack? What happen to Tangradi was terrible, he probably has a concussion and then the guy starts punching him and taunting him after wards. I've seen a lot of hockey games in my day and most of the time the player will ask if the person they hurt is alright. Most hockey players have a lot of respect for the other guy. Machinehead Captain Call

Machinehead Captain Callahan, when did you start watching hockey? Judging by the things you wrote it sound like you are a Flyers fan. Obviously if this game is "all the rage" then it doesn't happen all the time. Like I said, I'm cool with fights even if there is a lot, I think it adds another dimension to the game. But what happen in this game was beyond your regular hockey game and I watch a lot of other games other than the Penguins. Lolo Tomgirl, it wasn't just about what happen with Talbot either, the Isles were sore from what happen from the fair fight of Johnson and Dipietro. Ken, I agree that it is something out of the movies (Slap shot). Good point about them calling up players from the minors specifically for this game. So for those of you that need this kind of thing to happen to make hockey "interesting" and "exciting" then the sport is better off without you watching it.

• Matt N
    Favorite Answer

I thought most of it was fine except Martin's punch from behind. Definitely brought flashbacks of Bertuzzi and Moore. Fact of the matter is the rest of it is and always has been what hockey is about. It makes people interested.

Get your facts checked because the record for most penalties was Philly and Ottawa with 419 minutes.

This is hockey with one exception: the Matt Martin punch from behind. That is unacceptable in any situation and circumstance. Sure, Talbot may have given a cheap shot before, but if you have any class you'll have a face to face fight. I totally agree with you the league should do something about that, but the rest is the essence of hockey. As someone pointed out earlier, this is what used to happen every single game. The head hits have to stop, but I'm excited for this kind of hockey. It wasn't the only case either. A couple of days ago (Wednesday) Montreal and Boston had a wild second period. If this is where hockey is going, two thumbs up.

The game was a load of crap. Johnson didn't do well which put the Pens in a situation they couldn't get out of with all the players they're missing. I would like to say that I could support my state team but I'm disgusted by them. I'm cool with a penalty but cheap shots like they did repeatedly last night, no. The slash on Letang is beyond words. If you're going to slash somebody at least be there for them to get a chance to get back at you instead of just skating off the ice while he tries to get up. The fight with Talbot was deserved but they went about it the wrong way. Taking a cheap shot from behind does not make you tough, it makes you a wimp who's afraid of taking a punch. I didn't see the Tangradi inncident but I saw Haley and Johnson. No class. Johnson and DiPietro's fight was fair. DiPietro took a shot at Cooke and I forget who called who to a fight but it was all fair. I can understand Haley wanting revenge for that but at least have some class about it. It's not Johnson's fault DiPietro has a fragile face. In my mind the Pens won. Yes they got less goals but they stuck together, played as a team, and had class. The Isles said they stuck together during the game but that's a load of bs.

The Penguins did it to construct hype. Its undemanding to declare that the Islanders began all of it however the Penguins didnt ought to fall into the catch. all of the thrill replaced into with regard to the Boston Montreal interest and that they had to generate some buzz approximately them. Its no secret that with Crosby and Malkin long previous they only arent lots of a Cup contending team. in the event that they began the season without those 2 they wouldnt additionally be interior the working precise now. They needed to take the attention far flung from that and concentration it someplace else.

I did not watch the game but it must have been an interesting one. I just cannot believe almost 6 hours of penalty minutes were given out. Unbelievable

Deal out some justice? Please, that was awesome. I think it's kinda funny that this game is all the rage, and everyone's gossiping about it, and meanwhile there was once a time where this happened every night. There's no room for that in hockey? When did you start watching, last year? Sh*t happens.

EDIT: Ok my policy is that you can do anything but go to the head from behind. You never do that under any circumstance. But the rest was awesome. Noone ever said this sport was nice.

Islanders are the most classless team in hockey. Sucker punches, trying to take out the goalie, taunting the bench, and the coach cheering it all on....

Those of you who say this used to happen all the time in the NHL are completely wrong... Maybe in the movies...... Yes there were fights, but they were face to face, man to man....

A blatent slash to the legs of Letang almost took him out of the game. Islanders calling up players from the minors specifically for this game. They know there will be suspensions, but who cares.... They are AHL players...... Tangradi possibly seriously hurt by a blind elbow to the head.. A player taking on a goaltender who wasn't expecting it. Islanders are a bunch of ******* who can't play a legit hockey game and with polayers who can't win a legit fight.....

This all would have been avoided if Talbot weren't such a pussy. If he's going to be a thug and deliver cheap shots and dodgy hits, he should man up and answer for himself.

Basically every altercation that occurred was the cause of Talbot pussying out, turtling, or somehow forcing all his other teammates to fight his own battles.

• ?

No I was at the Devils/Sharks game but I heard about it.

OMG I didn't watch it but I saw what happened that was pretty crazy right? I've never seen it before..I should have watched it.