Pain after TWO root canals on same tooth?

So, my daughter had a root canal when she was 12 yrs old on tooth #3 and I thought things were all taken care of. Well, the tooth got infected and we had to get a retreat done a couple years ago when she was 14. The dentist we went to after the root canal gave her a permanent filling, but not a crown because we... show more So, my daughter had a root canal when she was 12 yrs old on tooth #3 and I thought things were all taken care of. Well, the tooth got infected and we had to get a retreat done a couple years ago when she was 14. The dentist we went to after the root canal gave her a permanent filling, but not a crown because we were told the crown could cause her teeth to shift and mess up her bite. Well, the tooth is bothering her AGAIN and we just found out the permanent filling is cracked! Could this be the source of the pain? We are going back to the endodontist, but I would like a heads up on what the problem might be. We have had two different opinions from two different dentists over the past couple of days. One says the pain is from the cracked filling while the other dentist says that this is impossible because the nerves are removed during a root canal. Ugh! Which is is it? I would sure hate to see her have to get the tooth extracted at such a young age, so I hope we can figure out what is going on.....and hopefully there's an easy fix!
Update: I was told only the filling is fractured, not the tooth.