St. Bernard + Poodle = St. Berdoodle?

I saw someone advertising 'St. Berdoodle' puppies. The mother was a purebred St. Bernard and the father was a 'St. Berdoodle.' Is this a new designer dog breed? The puppies were priced at $600, so I assume there is demand for the glorified mutts? I've noticed a lot of designer dogs seem to cross a whatever with a poodle. Is that so the name can end in a cutesie 'doodle', or is there some trait from the poodle they're attempting to breed in, like "hypoallergenic"? I wouldn't mind a st. bernard, poodle mix, but I just don't think I would pay $600 for it. Are breeders trying to make a st. bernard that doesn't drool or shed or something?

Yeah, that's what I figured. I couldn't figure out who was paying so much money for what, in my mind, is a mutt. The crazy part is that I think I heard somewhere that all mixed breed dogs tend to shed.

Lol: poonard.

• Ocimom
    Best Answer

Backyard breeder trash - its a mutt in every sense. Most all poodle mixes shed. The most they should cost is the price of 1st shots and worming - that's all. At $600 - its a money making thing.

• worm

St Bernard Poodle Mix

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

St. Bernard + Poodle = St. Berdoodle?

I saw someone advertising 'St. Berdoodle' puppies. The mother was a purebred St. Bernard and the father was a 'St. Berdoodle.' Is this a new designer dog breed? The puppies were priced at $600, so I assume there is demand for the glorified mutts? I've noticed a lot of...

Source(s): st bernard poodle st berdoodle: https://shortly.im/AS2ay
  • iYuuki

I wouldn't pay more then say... $50 for a dog like this; same I'd pay for any mutt puppy. I certainly wouldn't pay $600.

I do believe the non-shedding/hypo-allergenic thing is indeed why they've chosen to mix other breeds with poodles, but it just doesn't work out that well. Fact is, you can mix a dog with a poodle, and still end up with a dog that sheds like crazy. It's only on a rare occasion that one of these poodle mixes ends up with a non-shedding trait.

Edit: And it seems people misunderstand the term "hypo-allergenic". Very common mistake. Hypo-Allergenic doesn't mean that something will 100% not cause allergic reactions. It only means that something is somewhat less likely to cause allergic reactions.

Their idea is that a Poodle mix won't shed. They are dead wrong.

St. Bernard + Poodle = Mutt. Plain and simple. I wouldn't want such a large, grooming nightmare, but to each their own. But I absolutely wouldn't pay so much for one.

You've got to be kidding. Maybe these idiots want a St. Bernard with the type of fur (if it happens) that can be clipped in the poodle styles. Poor slobbering lumbering dude in a prissy hairdo.

I think I'd have nightmares about grooming a dog like that, especially in the summer time.

Most likely they figure that there are still enough idiots out there who believe you can cross breed dogs and get what you want out of them to make a profit off of.

• Cynder

Along with what everyone else said, the only time a mutt/mixed breed is hypoallergenic is when both/all of the breeds that it is a mix of are hypoallergenic, but then again, no dog is actually completely "hypoallergenic". Most likely this is a designer dog breed.

There is a sucker born every minute and these byb's seem to find them all.

• Jess

I agree with everyone else. There just mutts. Over priced mutts.