Buklau asked in Dining OutFast Food · 9 years ago

Is subway a healthy fast food alternative?

I really want to start a healthy diet and lose weight I started doing sit ups and all that good stuff, I have eaten multiple times at subway and all I have to say, Is that their sandwiches are so good. Are their sanwiches really healthy how many calories do they pack?is it a healthy fast food alternative? Thank you all very much

• WallyZ
    Best Answer

Some of it is better but it isn't really that healthy. You've got carbs from the large piece of bread (you can stick to wheat bread), fat laden cold cuts, often processed cheese (possibly imitation cheese food) and salt is used on most of the cold cuts. If you stick to roast chicken, turkey, and low fat ham, if they have it, you would be better off. Their soup isn't bad. You might want to try Quiznos, they use better ingredients. z

• *HM*

That definitely depends on what you order. Some of their subs are pretty fattening but there are healthy options too. If you get a meat like ham or turkey, and get it on wheat bread and no fattening condiments like mayo, then that's pretty healthy for you. Then there are subs like the meatball and spicy Italian which both have almost 600 calories and quite a bit more fat than the others. So you might want to stay away from those, or just not eat them too often. I love the meatball, I just try not to eat it TOO often. =)

Yes depending on what you get on your sub. If you get double meat with all types of condiments, then you defeat the purpose. The darker breads (like whole grain wheat or multi-grain), are a much better choice and try for a plain grilled chicken (not with all types of sauces). Skip the mayo and add lots of veggies. You could even ask that the rip off most of the middle part of the bread (which is said to contain the most carbs). Don't be tricked into getting the meals with chips either. Even the "baked" chips aren't all that healthy.

If you want healthy, good tasting food, go anywhere but subway. Their food sucks! Try some mom and pop restaurants instead.

• A

A veggie sandwich with no cheese nor condiments are the only sandwiches that would be considered "healthy"

Overall, the typical Subway sandwich contain as much fat and calories as a burger from McDonald's.

A sandwich can be healthy if you take out items that are high in fat/calories, such as meat, cheese, and condiments.

Well... As you said fast food, no fast food is HEALTHY. Subway is definitely a better option than KFC or Mc Donalds however it isn't particularly healthy. I suggest you eat lots of carbs and salad if your working out.

Yes it's good as long as you make good choices. For example don't get mayo and if you do get light mayo. Pick leaner meats and choices that aren't drenched in sauce, like the meatball marinara. Go for a turkey or veggie sandwich on wheat, I personally like the veggie on wheat with provolone cheese and sweet onion sauce. Try it it's very good. Good luck!!!

well if you get a lot of veggies on your sub then it's healthier than regular fast food but if you just get chicken with a lot of sauce and that's it well its not that healthy

Set your laptop alarm to ring hourly—stand upward for 1 to 5 minutes each and every time it goes off.

Yes, I think so. A lot healthier than fast food burgers