What "mental illness/disorder" does Donnie Darko have?

For my drama coursework i'm looking at mental illness displayed in the media through film etc.. I've seen the film multiple times and can't work out what his actual problem is, is he Bipolar? Schizophrenic? Or does he just have Depression?

thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He has no illness.

He is taking pills for Schizophrenia but he later finds out they are only placebo's. The scene where his doctor tells him they are placebo's is only in the director's cut. It was removed from the original to create more mystery and to keep open the possible ambiguous explanations.

Donnie is the Living Receiver and the experience is incredibly strange and intense making his behaviour during this time slightly erratic.

Here's the part form the directors cut version:

103 mins: Donnie talks with his doctor about his belief in God, and she tells him he can stop taking his medication as they are placebos.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/alternateversi...

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Donnie Darko Schizophrenia

• Andrew
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Schizophrenic, defiantly. Inventing super complex interwoven theories like Donnie Darko was following in the movie are very typical of this mental illness.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avaKe

frank was donnie's unconscious side that made him commit all those crimes but was also the one that drew donnie out of bed to go outside, preventing him from dying in the jet engine impact. (the one that came through the roof and hit his bed) Donnie's conscious side, knowing that frank was making him do all these things that lead to many bad things, wanted it to stop. Bad things include his gf that got run over and frank, the guy in the actual haloween costume of frank getting killed by the really mad donnie. To stop this, he travelled back in time where he chose to stay in bed, which the plane engine would have hit and killed him. That way, gretecen would have never known him and not get runover that night. Frank would have not been shot by donnnie either. IN addition!!!!, his mother and sister would have also survived because the engine, (remember they said that they did not konw where it came from and there was no other plane wreckage reported) came from the plane that hsi mother and sister were in in flight to the recital. GREAT MOVIE Remember, all this actual takes place in donnies dream while he sleeps. The idea of the movie, i think, is that if somethign bad was going to happen, and you had the power to stop it ( go back in time), then most people would do it. However, the backfire is that you're also letting bad things still happen. Notice, that he not only stopped bad thigns from happening but, he prevented bad things from getting noticed. Cunningham would not have been arrested due to Donnie dying.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What "mental illness/disorder" does Donnie Darko have?

For my drama coursework i'm looking at mental illness displayed in the media through film etc.. I've seen the film multiple times and can't work out what his actual problem is, is he Bipolar? Schizophrenic? Or does he just have Depression?

thanks!

Source(s): quot mental illness disorder quot donnie darko have: https://biturl.im/X3mJr
  • Amy
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Donnie Darko is a great movie. As for everything, you give the end the meaning YOU want. Personnaly, I think he chooses to die, so he saves his girlfriend's life, & his sister's & mother's on the plane, & Frank's. He has lived something great for a few days & think it's enough. He loved his girlfriend (can't remember her name - so annoying!!!) so much he prefered to know her alive & not remembering him than living without her... So romantic! & you can see the mother & the girlfriend waving at each other, when they have never met, as if they knew what happened... Now, as I said, you see what you want in that not so happy ending... (& that song must be one of the saddest EVER!!!)

• 10 years ago

he's a paranoid schizophrenic

Source(s): i had to do a paper on the movie in psych class
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.