i turn the key off but engine stays running why?

i turn the key of in my 2002 pontiac sunfire and the engine stays running i replaced the ignition switch but does the same thang any buddy got any ideas.

Favorite Answer

My 2005 chevy caviler use to do the same thing, I would turn the key to turn off my car and it would seem like the engine was still running. However, in my car it was the fan that was still running and then after minute or two it would stop. So maybe it could be just your fan that is under your hood. Don't quote me, females and cars don't mix lol. Good Luck!!

Idle stop Solenoid Operation: An electromagnetic solenoid that holds the carburetor linkage on the shrink (chilly) idle place. It positions the throttle plate to regulate idle velocity while engine is working and to dodge dieseling while the engine is grew to become off.

Its a manual transmission right? i had a 1998 ford f150 that did the same thing. no one could tell my why it did it or how to fix it so my mechanic told me to force it to stall to turn the car off it wont hurt anything.

Many years ago, this happened a lot. Usually it had to do with a lower grade of gas. However, those lower grades are ok for today's cars.

not sure but i think it has to do with the timing. think the street racers do it to cool the engine or turbos or something