How can I get jobs in film-making in bigger productions, without being Union?

I have been on a film set before, for about three weeks last June (2010) and I was very happy to see that the production needed my help and welcomed me without turning me away (the production was independent, however it had a few IATSE (Union) on set). I have no specialization in any film-making field, but by being... show more I have been on a film set before, for about three weeks last June (2010) and I was very happy to see that the production needed my help and welcomed me without turning me away (the production was independent, however it had a few IATSE (Union) on set). I have no specialization in any film-making field, but by being there I gained much knowledge on almost every job on set, even though our crew was only about fifteen people strong. I am very interested now, as I look for more opportunities, to get on a film crew that does a little bit larger productions. The production that I was on, I was lucky that they were filming in my hometown. Is there any way that a somewhat experienced, grip/assistant lighting technician can get a job on a film without being Union?
Update: **Note: I don't want to join a Union for the reason that I may not want to do this as a career, only a really fun way of networking and making money.