TPS Honduras - My husband has had the TPS Honduras for over 9 years - I'm a US citizen ?

If he applies to become a US Citizen would he have to return to honduras to wait ? He came in the country llegally with a crewman visa working on a ship then once he arrived here he applied for the TPS for Hondurans..Ever since he has been re-applying for the TPS and has been granted every year.Also 2 years ago he got an advance parolee to be able to leave the US and visit his sick parents and was able to return to the US without any problems ..please advice

5 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

    he can't become a US citizen until he gets legal permanent status, a green card. TPS does not lead to citizenship, which is why it's called temporary status. normally a person who entered the US on a visa could adjust status in the US based on an immigrant petition filed by his US spouse. however, the C1/D visa is a very specific exception to that. In my opinion, you should file an I-130 immigrant petition for him and then, once that's processed and approved, he should go to get an immigrant visa interview back home. you may want to consult an immigration attorney before you do that to see if he has any illegal presence in the US that might create an ineligibility. while he'd be able to apply for a waiver through USCIS, it would certainly keep him there for a couple months if not longer.

  • 3 years ago

    Citizenship follows the regulation. yet get your papers so as and you'll want a qualified start certificates that tells people you're a citizen. It takes weeks to get that qualified start certificates.. you may gain this, and pay, on-line. flow to the embassy once you're nonetheless pregnate and examine in with somebody who can help you.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Yes, he would have to return home to apply for a greencard.

    You can never adjust status from an alien crewman visa:

  • 9 years ago

    He would still be required to return back home and you both would have to start on his immigration application.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Does he have a green card ... you need that for years first

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.