Q asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

how many native americans were killed during colonisation?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

estimates are as high as 50 Million some tribes like the Carabs were completely wiped out out side of the great flood it is the largest genocide known to man.

@ the poster who claims my people dd not originate here, the Bering Strait theory is just that, a theory and in most cases bridges run both ways.

Source(s): God's Blessings gave us a Great New GOP Congress NOTE;I am a level 7 top contributor beware of impersonators, and please report clones, demand the real level 7 Paul Grass May God bless you and may God keep us safe from the progressive axis of evil;0bama,Pelosi & Reid.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Although exact numbers are unknown, historians estimate that diseases brought by Europeans killed more than 20 million Native Americans in Mexico in the first century after conquest. Many scholars agree that the population of Native Americans in Central America decreased by 90 to 95 percent between the years 1519 and 1619. So likely the numbers would total in the 60 to 70 millions throughout the America's.

• 1 decade ago

Back in those days the label native American didn't exist.

As for how many that were killed off that is well into the thousands, some claim in the millions.

When America was being made many tribes were wiped out of existence, they also killed the women and children that were in the tribes. Some of the tribes I would bet they weren't violent. If they didn't get killed in battle, it was disease that done them in.

This is a sore spot for America and you can see that it really is just by some of the answers that are on your question.

• 6 years ago

It is difficult to say, and actually a moot point to quantify genocide.

It is a fact that the American government from it's inception had a concerted

policy of denying the first peoples "Life, Liberty, and the Persuit of any

Happiness". From removal, to the killing of Bison, to "gifts" of Smallpox

infested blankets; a 19th Century version of WMDs., the policy was sustained and enhanced.

The Nazis called it The Final Solution, we called it Manifest Destiny.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Colonization? That's one of the namby pamby sugar coated descriptions for it. Or 'discovering America'

Heaven forbid that we name if for what it really was. Invasion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Does that count someone like George Armstrong Custer? He was native to America.

• 1 decade ago

If anyone answers this with a definite number, it is outright disingenuous

And in colonists defense, you can't just paint things black and white. There were murderous Indians, just as there were murerous colonists

There were Indians who were more than happy to share the land. There were some who weren't

There were colonists who were against "removing" the Indians, or to use your politically correct term, "native americans", which is not an apt term at all; anymore than "Indians"

And when I say "removing", I'm not talking about killing. I'm talking about relocation, which was wrong, in my opinion, but it was hundreds of years ago, and a moot point now

But there are examples of more modern "actual" genocides. Mao killed tens of millions, 70Million as did Stalin to a slightly lesser degree; Hitler killed millions; Communism and Fascism the cause

Source(s): Truth is that we don't know exactly what happend. History books paint distorted pictures
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Thanks to Andrew Jackson, over 4 million were killed during the Trail Of Tears.

Quiet a few were in my family.

Why that man in on our $20 bills is beyond me.

That's like having Robert E. Lee printed on our money.

• 1 decade ago

Let's just agree that this was a genocide in the true meaning of the word.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All of them, their way of life was destroyed. All that was left was an empty shell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.