Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

Can you connect two computers to one monitor and stay and work online with a network program?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If your monitor has two inputs then most likely you do not need any KVM switch. Just connect both PCs on each port; switching between comps is done usualy by front knob. If there is only one input on monitor then you will need a KVM. Before buying this piece of hardware check your graphic cards outputs on each PC. These days most of the monitors have one DVI and one analog (D-SUB) input. While D-SUB is somehow unique, there are different versions of the DVI - DVI-I; DVI-I and DVI-A (check on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interf...

ANSWER

Accessing two or more systems using one monitor can be done:

1. using Remote Access

2. X11 services

Remote Access will cause the console/desktop of the remote to be shown on the local monitor and give mouse,keyboard control

X11 (see link below) will give the same access to multiple systems at the same time each within its own window/frame. X11 has extra security consideration and caution should be exercised until one becomes familiar with X11 Security.

Windows systems need both X11-Server and Client installs.

• corujo
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

One Monitor Two Computers

• Tenax
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

There are several things you can do:

1. a KVM-switch

This is a piece of hardware that allows you to control 2 or more computers with one set of keyboard (K), mouse (M) and display (V=video). You can switch between the connected PCs using a hotkey command - you can not see what is happening on both PCs at the same time.

2. Special software

You can install a program like UltraVNC as a service on each of the PCs, then see and control it remotely from the other one.

Depending on your operating system, you can also use a remote desktop connection.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes and you can configure them to be half screen. l/r or t/b left,right or top, bottom. if you want you can have two separate windows too. Most new computers already have two video inputs, VGA (the one with the two screws) and the plug-n-play that most new monitors use. So all you need is an adapter if you have two new screens. I have two flat screens and configured them so that when I move the mouse the cursor disappears on the right and appears on the left side of the screen next to it. (its perfect for excel spread sheets) and other wide applications. This also works for top to bottom applications. Like long web sights with a slidebar on the right .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • You can use a program called Synergy (It's free!) that lets you network two computers together, and control both of them with one mouse, keyboard, and monitor! It's excellent for home networks and I've seen it used here on my college campus.

Source(s): IT Workstudy Student Computer Science Undergraduate Student http://synergy-foss.org/
  • 1 decade ago

Ignore the retard above. If I understand your question correctly, you can use a KVM switch to use one monitor with two computers. They're pretty cheap too.

• 1 decade ago

No, That would blow all of the hard drives.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.