What is the difference between SSD and HDD?

What is the difference between SSD and HDD? And which is better for desktop gaming system? ( Extreme gaming)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

5400 and 7200rpm hdd's are mechanical drives. A Solid State Drive (SSD) is a non-mechanical drive (no moving parts), and runs on NAND flash (a type of memory chip). Because there are no moving parts, the access time on an SSD is extremely fast, such as 0ms. This means programs load faster than the blink of an eye. And they tend to have extremely fast read / write speeds over mechanical drives. Perfect as a boot drive. And yes, good for gaming, since games load tons faster on them. You pay a premium for the performance, though. So they're generally not cheap. The best SSD's on the market are ones equipped with the SandForce controller. Extremely fast read and write speeds. Such as the OCZ Vertex II, G.Skill Phoenix, or Mushkin Callisto series. A 60GB SSD costs around $150. And a 128GB costs about double.

• 9 years ago

Solid State (SSD) have no moving parts, all data is stored onto memory chips. In a regular HDD data is stored magnetically onto an internal disk, this disk has to spin around and a moving head is used to read a write data to the disk, thus there are a lot of precision moving parts, which is why they make a noise.

Solid state devices, so long as they use very fast quality memory chips are significantly faster than regular HDD. This is because the data can be accessed almost instantly, whereas in a regular HDD the system would have to wait for the head to reach the correct place.

• 9 years ago

SSD id solid state drive having no moving parts but only chips like a USB flash drive. HDD a hard drive has disks in it which move and are noisy. SSD is sooooooo fast and HDD is much slower. Note: SSD is also more expensive.

Source(s): ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 9 years ago

In simplest terms:

SSD: hard drive that is like a giant flash drive with no moving parts = very durable. (New so very expensive still)

HDD: standard hard drive that have a spinning disk inside = more delicate and prone to break with getting banged around etc.

Source(s): IT Technician
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.