promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Which sport is tougher (like hits wise) NFL or NHL?

Now before i go on i would like to point out that i am talking about football. The NHL to me just seems tougher but not by much. Also why the NFL more popular then the NHL?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The NHL is tougher when it comes to hits.

It comes down to basic physics. Force=Mass x velocity (speed basically). The heaviest players in the NFL (Linemen) aren't moving very fast so while they have the mass, they don't have the velocity. The fastest players are the lightest players (running backs, Wide receivers) so while they have the acceleration, they don't have the mass.

NHL players travel much faster than NFL players (skaters move faster) and have an average weight of around 210. They simply produce more force on impact than an NFL player. This is negated by pads and the boards (they absorb the force), however it's enhanced by the fact that a play doesn't stop once they're hit. In the NFL, players generally only get 5 minutes or less of actual playing time and they play for less than 20 seconds at a time. Only a few of the players are open to big hits, and they get a rest period after they are hit. Hockey players stay on the ice for 2-3 minutes, can get hit multiple times, and continue to play after getting hit. They can also get punched.

NFL is a more popular sport because it's easier to follow, it works well with TV (more pauses in the game for commercials, a 1 hour game takes 4 hours to watch). Many people who don't like hockey claim that they never know where the puck is and have no idea what's going on. Football works because they always move in 1 direction, they pause to reshow the play over and over again, and it's 1 play, a stop, then a new play. Much simpler to enjoy.

I love both sports, so I have no bias, but Hockey players definately get the shaft.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Winning Sport Picks http://givitry.info/WinningSportsPredictions
  • 5 years ago

RE:

Which sport is tougher (like hits wise) NFL or NHL?

Now before i go on i would like to point out that i am talking about football. The NHL to me just seems tougher but not by much. Also why the NFL more popular then the NHL?

Source(s): sport tougher hits wise nfl nhl: https://trimurl.im/d29/which-sport-is-tougher-like...
  • sahna
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Sports Science Hockey Hits

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The NFL has tougher hits than the NHL. The reasons why are simple. The player in the NFL are much bigger, faster and more physical than the NHL. Sure the NHL plays 82 games a year on skates going 40 mph and with a flying rubber puck. There are no NHL players who are over 275-300lbs who can run a 40 yard dash in 4.5-5.0 seconds.

The reason why the NFL is more popular in the US than the NHL is two main reasons. Football for the most part has been played in this country longer than hockey. Both leagues have been in existence for around the same amount of time. The biggest difference is that the NHL didn't expand from six teams until 1967. That is why the NFL was able to market to a more broader market than hockey.

Another reason why hockey is more popular than football is not a lot of kids in the US grow up playing the sport. Especially in warm weather places like the south or the western states where you don't get a lot of ice to play on. In Canada and the northeast US, kids grow up playing hockey on frozen lakes and backyard sheets of ice. You can't do that in the south where it rarely freezes up to make ice. In fact, if it weren't for Wayne Gretzky and the 1980 Miracle on Ice US Olympic gold medal team, the NHL would have never been able to expand to places like Dallas, Florida, Nashville, San Jose, Phoenix, etc. Plus it doesn't help that he sport isn't able to market to minorities in inner cities. Not a lot of them are able to get money to buy the necessary equipment and ice time to play the sport if they wanted to.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

- davester - sorry bud, the NHL is definitely not more popular in America than the NFL.. the NFL is America.

anyhow, there are two different types of "hits".. the guys in the NHL are layered with padding and they get checked, not really hit.. i'll say the NHL is tougher in the aspect of being allowed (kinda - but they have a 5 minute penalty) to punch one another. if they were allowed to do that in the NFL guys like revis and cromartie wouldn't run their mouth nearly as much.. back to the hit thing, in the NFL, guys are wearing less and less padding (to help with speed) so they are feeling more of the hits.

the players in the NFL (o-line, d-line, linebackers, and te's) are all bigger than guys in the NHL.. and none of the guys in the NHL are built as muscular as safeties in the NFL.

• Iwona
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aD5Dy

Football. NHL DOES take skill with the puck control, checking, etc, but I like football and I think it's more of a contact sport than NHL. The only problem I have with football are the rules. WAAAY too many. Let them play! Sure some flags like offsides, holding etc are required but there are MANY that just seem to hold the game back. But it IS my favorite sport.

• Toto
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

donnie.....he said nfl was more popular...i dont know what you are reading....

anyway....

hit wise, the nfl is tougher.

how many times is a guy knocked out or given a concussion in nhl? in football its every week

that is why football is only 16 games in a season. it is soo demading on the players bodies

• 4 years ago

Sports Betting Picks - Winning Picks

• 9 years ago

You get hit more in the NFL and the hits are harder so I say NFL. But the NHL is also very tough.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.