promotion image of download ymail app
Serenity asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Do I see a doctor or just "wait it out"...?

I'm 17. I'm a female. Since I was 15, I've been having extreme mood swings, visual and auditory hallucinations (visual more than auditory), and tiny bits and pieces of paranoia.

Over the years, I've seen doctors upon doctors and doctors. I've gotten diagnosis after diagnosis after diagnosis (diagnosed and tested by these doctors). It seems like, since around September, I was getting better. I was finally getting over all of this emotional and mental drama, and thought that maybe I was just having rough teenage years, like everyone else my age, and now it's calming down. I eventually stopped seeing my psychiatrist and therapist in late November, 2010. No more meds, no more appointments, etc. And I was getting along great.

For the past three weeks, maybe a little less, I've noticed a rather severe turn in my mental state. I don't know what triggerd any of it, if anything at all.

But. In list formation, this is what has been going on:

-Every couple of days, mood will go from excessively energetic and happy, to depression/indifference and no energy at all, to extreme anger.

-The anger seems to have been getting worse. It has started becoming more obvious since maybe June, but it's now especially that it's clear that I've developed some anger issues. I've been very short and very tactless with people lately. Last week I trashed my room and put a dent in my wall. I don't even know why, to be honest. It's not like I "didn't get my way" or "a friend betrayed me" or anything at all, really. I just had this sudden urge to hurt, destroy, and damage. So I broke things and started scratching at my skin violently with a knife. There wasn't really any thought in my head that even told me that what I was doing was wrong and needed to stop until I collapsed. All I could focus on was getting rid of the anger.

-The energetic excitement generally involves me skipping rather than walking, or if I'm walking, I speed walk. I feel so energetic, that I start to panic and wonder if somehow I'll experience some sort of mental explosion if I don't use it all up. Talk faster, running, jumping, laughing excessively, people think I'm high (I'm not...ever...)

-I think depression could be described as the typical "symptoms", so to speak.

A lot of people at school have started to notice, and I don't think it's a good thing.

This past week, I've started to notice myself falling back into that state of mind where I start questioning other people's motives, I start wondering about paranormal things, and paired with this, I've been experiencing mild hallucinations. Mild as they may be, I still am scared sh!tless.

I've been through these mood cycles before. They TYPICALLY go away after a while....few weeks, generally no more than two months. I've thought about going back to see my psychiatrist at least, but thing is, my parents switched my insurance, so consequentially, my network of physicians have been changed around. I can no longer see my same psychiatrist or therapist, and starting up again would not only be frustrating to me, but to my parents as well. In fact, I'm almost wondering if my parents would flat out tell me, "No, you can't start again," simply because it would be so inconvenient, and because we just called quits in November.

Bringing these concerns up to them would be....just a big pain. They won't be too happy with me, I can tell you that much right now. Gaurenteed.

Any advice?

7 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    First of all - I feel for you. I have dealt with my own issues, mostly without assistance for a long time. Getting the right key to what causes your issues can take a lifetime, and much pain and frustration. In some cases that key is access, and that sounds like your situation.

    I am not a psychiatrist so none of this is official health advice, or diagnostic - I've simply done a lot of research in search of my own answers, and spent time around others with issues similar to yours.

    Depending on what meds you were on, the effects may become more and more pronounced until they are back to their former intensity or worse.

    The fact that you have hallucinations and paranoia indicates for schizophrenia. That doesn't just go away. Unless you have very very strong self-checks in place, your hallucinations and paranoia will only make things worse.

    You can try bio-feedback and/or meditation to help you keep tabs on the extremes of the mood swings. Unfortunately mood imbalances are difficult to pin down, especially at your age when hormones are fluctuating wildly, when your natural sleep/alert cycle is being disrupted by the normal routine of life, and many external stresses are pulling you in different directions.

    You will eventually get over the hormones and stress to a large degree, but that doesn't help with now. If your parents are not understanding of the situation, you will need to seek some sort of therapy on your own. It is unfortunate that they are not - mental health is a very important issue, and undiagnosed/untreated disorders lead to bad things happening to yourself and/or others.

    My fiance is depressive and traumatized and has had quite a few good experiences with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (you learn to audit your own behavior and moods from what I gather), and I have provided links to some free resources. There are websites, meet-up groups, and community resources that can help you get the support you need.

    You are a year away from being your own legal person - at that point you can qualify yourself for whatever state help is available. Not knowing where you live I cannot point you to a specific service, however in the field I work I am familiar with a number of state and county programs on the west coast that are very good; try your page for community health services.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    I am no doctor by any means but I would bet you have bipolar/schizo effective disorder. I have the same thing and you described every symptom to a tee. I got help and diagnosed at 15. I am now 29 and have been "stable" for the past three years. It has been a very long road.

    My advise....if you are serious then you need to get treatment. Talk to your mom please. And word of advice, stay on your medication even if you don't think you need it.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Kirk
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You need to see a regular doctor and have him, or her, test your levels of Hormones every week. There is a "Gland" that regulates the different Hormones and it maybe acting up. Birth Control Pills may help you out.

    I real believe this is your problem. I wish you well.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    you seem to have a major problem due to anger. I also had such problems. We need to control ourselves ,getting angry on such things is not a solution. Be happy,listen to melodious songs. If you dont have a habit of listening songs then try some hilarious jokes. Laughing is the best medicine. It will cure surely.

    Source(s): books
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    I think its best you see a doctor as soon as you can get switched over or in the mean time a good friend or famly member.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    not too sure about what you should do but remember the guy who "waited it out" when a lump appeared on his head, turns out he had a fly lay eggs under his skin, true story. just think, will it get better if you leave it be?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    See a doc... Dont wait cuz it might get worse

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.