Collection agency scams?

Today my husband received a notice in the mail from a collection agency stating he had an overdue account with Hollywood Video (who have been out of business almost a year in our area). They claim he owes over a hundred dollars. At the time they went out of business we had no overdue fees. Interesting enough,... show more Today my husband received a notice in the mail from a collection agency stating he had an overdue account with Hollywood Video (who have been out of business almost a year in our area). They claim he owes over a hundred dollars. At the time they went out of business we had no overdue fees.

Interesting enough, his office manager's husband received a similar notice not long ago.

Two years ago, a got a letter from a collection agency claiming to have been hired by BMG asking me to pay a $30 debt. I hadn't been a part of BMG for over 10 years. When I asked the collection agency to provide a statement as to what I owed money for, they could not, and I never heard from them again.

Experiences?
4 answers 4