Young American planning on moving to Ireland.?

Hi, I'm a nineteen year old from Fresno, California and have been thinking a lot (ever since I was 14) about moving to Europe. I've always loved the idea of living in Ireland but have a few concerns nowadays, given to me by friends here in California, that I'd like to consider before setting my heart into the move.

First things first, I know that a well-planned move would probably involve a trip to Ireland first to get a feel of the places there and to also job-hunt and look for a place to stay, so I'm already putting that into the plan.

I have been told by some of my friends that Ireland isn't doing too well financially and that it'd be really hard to find a job there (I'm having job troubles here in CA as well, but mainly do to my school schedule being involved (4th semester of college). I've looked at a few other questions and answers on this subject and someone claimed they were from a place in Northern Ireland (I forget the name of the town) and that getting a job would be fairly easy. Any clearing up anyone can do about this would be greatly appreciated.

That's really the big concern that's been planted in my head but I'd really like to hear anything that people living in Ireland or people who have moved to Ireland can tell me. I don't plan on being able to move there for probably the next 5-10 years (I want to get my degree first and make sure I save enough to get me by for a while as well as pay for the trip there), but I'd like to start planning as soon as I can.

I'm also going to be getting my first vehicle (a motorcycle) this year, and any info I can get about how to get it to Ireland or driving in Ireland in general would also be appreciated.

Hopefully there are some out there who can help me out with this,

Thanks to those of you who can,

-Ethan Hardcastle

Favorite Answer

I have answered about 6 questions in the past few 2 days from Americans wanting to move to Ireland.

My advise to you is read your newspapers, Google "recession Ireland" or look through the hundreds of similar questions in the "Discover" section of Y!A.

Tens of thousands of our college graduates have emigrated to Canada and Australia to find work as there are no jobs here and another 50,000 are due to leave this year. There are not likely to be any jobs for the foreseeable future. Companies are going bust every day and laying off workers. My partner has been out of work for 14 months. Times are very tough.

The way the situation is now there are no jobs for Irish people let alone Americans. To move here you need a job offer and Irish/EU nationals are given preference for any job vacancy as a rule unless it is a very specialised role and the only suitable candidate is from outside the EU.

Why not try Canada seeing as its right next door to America and you wouldn't have the hassle of bringing your motorbike over the ocean?

Here is the problem. There is not a country on earth that allows foreign citizens to just "move" there without the proper visa. To work and live long term or to immigrate is extremely difficult and in many places simply impossible. Ireland has extremely strict visa requirements. Ireland belongs to the European Union. All citizens of all other E.U. countries may live and work in any E.U. country without a visa. Americans and other non-Europeans will find it nearly impossible to get visa. All employers in E.U. countries must offer all jobs to Europeans first. For an American to get a work visa means he must find an employer who has a job that he can find NO European citizen to fill. This means the American must be amazingly skilled and unbelievably educated. Happens about once a century! It is equally difficult for a European to work in the U.S. Unemployment is and way beyond high in Ireland. It would be impossible for you to get work a visa, and therefore you would not be allowed a residence visa. You cannot move there and then go job hunting. Very, very few people can "move" out of their home country and live in another. If you are retired with a steady income, you may...to some countries. Many countries still will not allow it. If you are highly qualified and can get a job with an American company that might post you to their branch in another country, then you may go there and work for however long your company places you there. The U.S. is a huge country...look around and find a new type of place, check on-line for "best places for jobs, 2011" and be sure the job market is good there. If you have a good job and save, you may be able to travel and visit places you want to go to, but long term living or immigrating is beyond difficult. All of this applies to all European countries that are members of the European Union. Sory, but this is the reality of it. Now, IF you might be interested in spending a year in Australia or New Zealand, and can save up $5,000 , you may try for a Work and Holiday visa there...would be a great experience. See sites below.

• Orla C

You cannot go to Ireland or any EU country and look for a job. Doesn't work that way. You wouldn't be allowed past the airport without a return ticket.

Plus we already have cars and motorcycles in Ireland ...

Do a search of Yahoo Answers about being an American and moving to Ireland. Why oh why do people not do a bit of proper research to find out facts, instead of relying on hearsay? All you have to do is go to google and enter 'American moving to Ireland' ....

Your best bet would be to seek employment with an American company with offices based in Ireland. The Bank of new york, AIG, facebook, intel, microsoft, ebay & google all have substantial offices in Dublin. The problem is a visa, if you can find an employer that will provide a letter to the immigration bureau telling them that you can do a job that no-one in Ireland is qualified to do. I'd advise to check out Facebook, Intel or Google. All three are currently to my knowledge (& contacts) taking on staff in their Dublin offices.

Latest reports from the world bank is that the Irish economy is showing signs of recovery. So in 5 years it should be ok.

For driving you'll need a full US driving licence, and you'll have to make enquiries about switching it to a full Irish licence. If you live in Dublin you can actually get by without driving, however in more rural areas you'll need to drive as public transport can be patchy.

Jobs are scarce here, and they tend to go to Irish workers first, then EU citizens, who according to EU rules may work in any EU country. The situation may be better in 5 or 10 years' time. Being trained for something and having prior experience would be a definite help to finding a job.

Or you may like to come on a volunteer working holiday - with the ordinary 90 day tourist visa

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000212

WWOOF is working on an organic farm, and accommodation and food are supplied, but you don't get paid. If you choose somewhere close to a town, you will find it easy to have a good look around during your time off. You need to book well in advance. It might be an idea to see if there is something suitable not too far from your airport of arrival, or somewhere on the rail network. Dublin is in Leinster and Shannon (Co. Clare) is in Munster. Nearest towns to Shannon are Limerick and Ennis. Check out http://www.wwoof.ie/ and click the "Preview host list" link. How about 2 months working with a family and one month exploring, before you have to return home? Or one month working and 2 months exploring, if you have saved enough before you come? The rail network map is at http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_journey/intercit...

It is likely to be expensive to bring your motorcycle with you - it might even cost less to buy or rent one here. Or you could rent a car. We drive on the left side of the road, and our rules of the road may be slightly different from yours.

More general info on a 12-month Irish working holiday visa at these websites below. You can only come on such a visa once. It is much more difficult to come and settle here permanently, unless you have enough money to open a business and employ people - in which case you'd probably be encouraged to come asap!!! Or you could suss out American companies with branches here and get transferred over ...

http://www.visafirst.com/en/irish_working_holiday_...

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=73713

Hi Ethan

I just answered 2 very similar questions about this. See the following...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201102...

God luck with the move!

Source(s): www.likeplace.ie