Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Has any1 successfully debated dawkins?

tell me people

i want honest answers, any1 has successfully or given a tough fight to dawkins

what about william craig lane. He has won debates with christopher hitchens and other atheists

I heard that the one time he and dawkins debated it was close

Favorite Answer

well dawkins only debates people he can beat. for example Dawkins refuses to debate the worlds most leading christian apologist William lane Craig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFamS4RGE_A

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwNV5-F1c4

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gpJuztzOH4

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

EDIT: and the debate you are talking about was a group debate not a 1 on 1. so of course it is going to seem close because they are not actually debating each other.

EDIT: the reasn WLC won the hitchens debate is because hitchens fail at both refuting WLC arguments and he faild at presenting an argument for is "atheism".

Source(s): reasonablefaith.org

Dawkins has participated in many long, significant and productive scholarly debates within the evolutionary biology community, with such figures as Stephen Jay Gould, E.O. Wilson, and many other (not as well-known) biologists. His religious debates are just a side-show.

Debates so seem a bit of a waste of time, the ones I have watched just seem to be airing old arguments and who ever has the best style seems to please the audience. It's style over content.

I have the feeling Dawkins feels the same way

• James

That depends on you define "successfully debated." If you mean to ask whether anyone has successfully debated Dawkins using honest and rational arguments, the answer is no.

• Nate

According to the pigeons, so to speak, sure, however if you analyze the actual debate in the sense of "who presented facts and backed up their position with valid arguments" then no.

Among other actual scientists? I don't know

Well if YELLING counts, then yes, but otherwise, there is really nothing to fight. Dawkins is merely insisting that atheism is a very reasonable point of view and that god is not provable.

You can't dispute that very well.

Depends on how you define 'successfully debated'

Impossible. That's like a child trying to punch out Chuck Norris.

I don't think so. There was a incident where some creationists made him pause at a question, but that was proven to be false due to him just realizing they were creationists and them editing the video.

I have. I said, "you're wrong" and he was so taken aback that he couldn't even speak.

Or maybe he just couldn't hear me through the computer.